OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jurassic Park/ No Osceola for Me

Started by zelmo1, April 13, 2024, 06:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I had fun in Florida, it's a different world for sure. Windy and hot, probably usually is. Birds were tight lipped. I did hear some gobbling my last morning, but no players. Great place and my " guide" was a good hunter. We went hard, just no takers. Z

Yoder409

Happens.

Florida would be one of the top, coolest places on my list to hunt and NOT kill one.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Turkeybutt

Sorry to hear that Z. You had a rough go out it from the start but on the bright side you did find your wallet.

Greg Massey

Hopefully next year Z you will get your Fl Gobbler ... I bet it was a great trip regardless

zelmo1

I am glad I did it. My timing will be better next time. I am willing to try it again. But it is a looooong drive. Z

Greg Massey

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 13, 2024, 08:04:50 PM
I am glad I did it. My timing will be better next time. I am willing to try it again. But it is a looooong drive. Z

Memories for sure ...

Tom007

Amen Z. It happens to the best. Sometimes they just do not cooperate........
"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Thanks for the update, will make it that much better when you are successful! Safe travels.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

GobbleNut

Bummer, Zelmo.  ...Was hoping for the best for you but suspected it would be tough. 

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Old Gobbler

It's real tough place to hunt , getting even tougher to live in ..I always tell people if you want to turkey hunt florida DO IT NOW ! Turkey hunting in Florida is living on borrowed time , and borrowed money ...the end is so very near ...wish I was wrong , but I'm sadly correct.

Last year only about 500 gobblers were checked out on public WMA's TOTAL STATEWIDE ...but if you ask the alphabet Letter agencies and "groups" everything is "fine" ...

There is always next year ..but the first 2 weeks is where the real action is ..with normal weather patterns

In the last  40 years the people population in Florida has grown from 7 million to over 22 million ..and projected to go to over 40 million within 20 years ...those people drink and use water , drive cars on highways , eat food grown on farms ...go to work and school on property ...that was ...you guessed it ..at one time prime habitat

Like I said before to anyone reading this ...set aside your other planned trips ...get to Florida,  before it's gone and it is disappearing by the Rate of thousands of acres per day !

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

CAPTJJ

One thing FWC is finally doing right now is requiring turkeys to be reported by phone or online within 24 hours of the kill. So, they actually have statistics. The 2024 numbers to date are approximately 1,800 on WMAs and 8,500 private land; 2023 was 2,100 and 9,400. These numbers come from the Hunter's Toolbox on the FWC website.

squidd

Even with the flat land, you'll work your tail off trying to kill a turkey in FL;  thanks for keeping everyone posted!!

WV Flopper

Sorry about the luck.

It is an interesting place, hot, humid. Put to me picture opportunities everywhere. Completely different than my WV hills.

joey46

Quote from: CAPTJJ on April 14, 2024, 11:27:38 AM
One thing FWC is finally doing right now is requiring turkeys to be reported by phone or online within 24 hours of the kill. So, they actually have statistics. The 2024 numbers to date are approximately 1,800 on WMAs and 8,500 private land; 2023 was 2,100 and 9,400. These numbers come from the Hunter's Toolbox on the FWC website.

Yes the info is there but I know from personal experience many of the old geezer exempts had no clue this was a requirement.  Add about 25% to the private land numbers and that is  just a guess.  IMO the info for quota hunts is close to correct.  Florida really needs actual physical tags even if the politicians require them to be free for the exempts. Good luck to all.