turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What time to start owl hooting?

Started by Yelpster, April 13, 2024, 01:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yelpster

I plan on scouting a ridge the morning before the opener. Normally I let the woods wake up and don't  owl call. With limited time for only one scouting mission, I feel the need to be more aggressive. How early is too early to start hooting? 

Neill_Prater

I don't owl, because I can't. Well, I guess I can, but it doesn't sound like an owl when I try.

Anyway, to answer your question, IMO, it's never too early. It's a natural sound. The birds might, or might not, respond, but it's not going to hurt anything.

I try to wait until I hear a real crow before using a crow call as a locator, but you can hear a real owl anytime day or night.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Judging by the public land hunting I did in FL this year, about an hour before the first gobble is the favored starting time. 
And that place has lots of real owls, not much need but the hoot-hoos keep belting them out.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

roberthyman14

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 13, 2024, 02:08:37 PM
Judging by the public land hunting I did in FL this year, about an hour before the first gobble is the favored starting time. 
And that place has lots of real owls, not much need but the hoot-hoos keep belting them out.
Lol. Then it's a race to be the 1st crow caller

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

If I hoot, I'll start a couple mins after I hear the 1st birds chirping. If I'm confidant some are around or if I know they are there's no hooting. Don't want to be drawing undo attention until it's time to play the game.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey