OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Encore 209x12 Question

Started by Dazzler, April 13, 2024, 12:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazzler

I have an encore 209x12 barrel on the way.  I've read the most of the posts on here.  The two questions I still have is about the use of blackhorn 209 and chokes (tight or not). 

Is is possible in an Encore frame?  It has a removeable breach plug, so i assume its considered a closed breach preventing/limiting loss of pressure.

The barrel is without stock choke.  Any suggestions.  On hand I have a TruGlo .670, Carlson's .660 and an Undertaker XT .670.

novashooter

No, BH209 does not work well in 12 gauge shotguns. It MIGHT be worth trying it in a 20 gauge, but it's really meant for moderate bore rifles like 40 to 54 caliber rifles with stouter loads. You can give it a try if you want, but I got bloopers in a shotgun.

Chokes, if for turkey, go ahead an use the tightest you want. There is a practical limit to choke where your pattern stops improving, but its way up there like .060"-.070" constriction. All of what you listed will work fine, and I doubt you will notice much difference between them besides usual shot to shot variation. I'm assuming all 3 are extended, but if not, I would avoid flush chokes for the one reason you will want to remove the tube to load each shot.

Dazzler