turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoys or Not

Started by Johnhunter21, April 12, 2024, 03:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnhunter21

Kentucky opener is tomorrow and the farm I am hunting is mostly open fields with a woodline on the edges. Im pretty limited on places to set up on the woodline so I cant really reposition once they fly down in the field so Id like to bring them to my setup. What is everyones experience with using Jake & Hen , Jake only, or Hen only in the early stage of the season?

bbcoach

John, I sent you a PM.  Good luck Buddy!

RutnNStrutn

First of all, you can expect that the elitists are going to jump all over this post and criticize you for not hunting like they do.
Personally, if I were in a limited situation like that, I would definitely use the dekes. For field birds it's a visual game. If you're calling and they look over and see nothing, that's not a good scenario. I would use a couple of hens and a jake. Any gobblers that see him with a couple of ladies isn't going to be very happy about it, and will probably come in. I've had gobblers leave their hens and run over to fight using that setup.
Best of luck!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Sanders153

Definitely bring them. If you wind up not using them that's ok, but if you have a setup were they would be ideal you'll be in luck if you've got em. Sometimes they can make all the difference especially in open scenarios

Johnhunter21

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 12, 2024, 05:03:00 PM
First of all, you can expect that the elitists are going to jump all over this post and criticize you for not hunting like they do.
Personally, if I were in a limited situation like that, I would definitely use the dekes. For field birds it's a visual game. If you're calling and they look over and see nothing, that's not a good scenario. I would use a couple of hens and a jake. Any gobblers that see him with a couple of ladies isn't going to be very happy about it, and will probably come in. I've had gobblers leave their hens and run over to fight using that setup.
Best of luck!!

Ah yes, I must kneel before the almighty elitists lol. I love the thrill of woods hunting just like everyone, that anticipation of seeing that gobbling red head pop over the hill, theres nothing like it. I just dont have many options with my setup this year, so definitely want to make the most of it. Thank you!

Tom007

Quote from: Johnhunter21 on April 12, 2024, 03:06:10 PM
Kentucky opener is tomorrow and the farm I am hunting is mostly open fields with a woodline on the edges. Im pretty limited on places to set up on the woodline so I cant really reposition once they fly down in the field so Id like to bring them to my setup. What is everyones experience with using Jake & Hen , Jake only, or Hen only in the early stage of the season?

What I've been told, use a Jake and hen. A hen only might make him hang up wanting her to come to him. The Jake will force him to come challenge him for the lady.....
"Solo hunter"

Paulmyr

Interesting stuff. Recently heard the reason Jake's might have short stubby beards because it's a signal to gobblers they are immature and don't pose competition. They guy who said it likened it to baby male bluebird being born with spots on its chest to delineate it from an adult male because the rest of their plumage is the same. Studies have been done with bluebirds using juvenile decoys with and without the spots. Without spots where pretty much torn apart, the ones with spots didn't get touched.

His suggestion was to put out the rattiest, scrawniest looking gobbler decoy you got. Prolly why the funky chicken works. Might also be why a group a Jake's can bully around an adult gobbler because it's in his instincts not to fight back.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Zobo

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 12, 2024, 05:03:00 PM
Best of luck!!

As one of the so called elitists, I agree with you.
I'm not against using decoys, I taught my kids that way and i personally have no issue with it. 

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

eggshell

Well if it was me and I suppose Zobo would agree, I can only condone the use of "elite" decoys. A couple elite hens and an elite jake should work just fine. I think the banter has gone far enough and maybe we can just answer the poster's question honestly or not at all. Yes, in a field situation like you are describing decoys will certainly be an asset. Whether I or anyone else desires to use or not use them doesn't matter for answering the question, the truth is in fields they work great.

mspaci

Tclipse01

I don't use them, but I bought some for my dad since his mobility isn't what it used to be. His run n' gun days are over so the dekes help him up his odds while staying stationary.

Bedge7767

Jim

sbbow

Quote from: Bedge7767 on April 12, 2024, 08:59:12 PM
Jake and a hen
X2 you hunt the way you want not what someone else would do .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marc

Open field, pasture, or meadow hunting, I do think decoys are important...  As RutnNStrutn points out, There has to be a visual stimulus to match the auditory stimuls on open ground.

I would use a 3/4 jake or even a Funky Chicken along with a laydown hen and standing hen (if they are all available.)  Pull the stake off a standing hen, and she becomes a laydown.  I have an Avian X Jake, and a Funky Chicken...  Birds that come into that Funky Chicken hate it, and although I have only had limited experience over either, I feel like fewer birds have avoided the Funky Chicken than the more realistic Avain.  I have heard anecdotal evidence which both supports and opposes my own experience...

If I had one, and was planning on being somewhat stationary, I do think the DSD jake is the best choice though...

Especially in an open field, I would feel that a bird is more likely to hang up and strutt out of range, waiting for those hens to come to him, with hen only decoys...  A strutter is more likely to scare off birds than a jake decoy...  And if they come into a full strutter they will most likely come into a jake as well...

I kill almost all my birds without a decoy in the woods...  But if I am hunting a pasture or meadow, I have no issue using them.  The excitement and satisfaction level is higher for me without the decoys...  But every once in a while, I do enjoy watching a bird run in to beat up that jake decoy and shoot him at 15 yards...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

squidd