Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Almost there…

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 05, 2024, 06:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Is it my imagination or are we less than 4 pts from reaching 500, thus winning the contest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tom007

We are right there. If our PA gents land one bird, we could nail it....good luck to them..
"Solo hunter"

twyatt

You don't win at 500.  You win at the end of the season with the highest score based on your team's top 9 birds (from 9 different people).

Yoder409

Quote from: Tom007 on May 05, 2024, 06:36:27 AMIf our PA gents land one bird, we could nail it....good luck to them..

If this PA gent hears one, he might stand a chance.  :TooFunny:

Yesterday was probably the worst opener I've ever seen.

I roosted a pair of gobblers Friday night.  Too far to tell.  But pretty sure a tom and a jake with 2 hens.  But I decided to go elsewhere in the morning. 

Had my butt parked at my bestest, most favoritest spot 0-dark:30.  Started glassing the treetops below me and picked out one hen.  Figured it was on.  Early.....a hen flies dow to my left and picks up te hill past me.  Then the hen below me pitches out and flies clear off the ridge I'm on.  I am in a spot I should be able to hear 10-15 gobbling birds.  I hear none.  7:30 I decide to walk and call.  Mile and a half later......nothing.  This is the same ridge I heard 8-10 gobbling birds on this past Tuesday.  So I'm wet and cold and my lower back has had all it can take.  I decide to go sit in a blind.  Drive up on the next ridge and park a couple hundred yards away.  Walking a farm road toward the blind I see a pair of black birds about 200 yards out the road from me.  I duck into the woods to my right and cut the distance by about half and set up along a big log.  Called a couple minutes and here they come on the silent.  Pair of jakes.  nothing else.  So I get up and make my way to the blind where I spend the next 2 1/2 hours calling.  Quit at noon as per the rules.  Never did hear a single gobble.

Guess, maybe, a whole bunch of toms lived to die some other day.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.