OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A Sad Occurrence

Started by Prospector, April 12, 2024, 05:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prospector

So my son, Logan, finished his 7 night shift and decided to go hunt and/or roost a gobbler for an am attack the next day. To make a long story short, he only saw a couple of hens with a Jake . He stayed until almost dark and as he worked his way back to his truck, he seen what was obviously a turkey move thru ahead of him on the trail. He stopped in wonderment to give the bird some room and not intentionally spook it. Just out of sight, he heard what he believed was "clucks and wingbeats" as it flew up to roost. Minutes later he rounded the corner and there lay the turkey dead in a pile of feathers. Something scurried off but came back and when it reappeared, was Id'd and quickly dispatched... examination of the crime scene shows a young, but robust male bobcat and a long beard gobbler! The gobbler had very short spurs, a good beard but was noticeable small by our usual standards. Probably about 13-14lbs. Plumage was good, and there was no visible wounds or deformities- just skinny. This is the third incident this season alone of observed adult turkey predation on our place. I shot a coyote opening day stalking Jake's, a friend had a coyote attack his decoy and now this. We have an active trapper working our land year round for cats and yotes. I have a pic but it will not upload for some reason.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Shiloh

Found a pile of feathers in a field on my place a few years ago.  Kept looking and finally found the carcass in the edge of a log pile left from clearing.  Knew it was a cat, but put a camera on it just to make sure and got his pic a night or two later.  I assume he caught him strutting?

Shiloh

Here is a pic of the cat standing over the carcass

Tom007

Wow, nice pic. Yea, the predators are for sure taking their share of turkeys.........
"Solo hunter"

Cowboy

Bobcats are deadly on turkeys.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Bobcats are top level predators.  The state transplanted a bunch of turkeys near me a few years back.  The first night they lost three jakes in one tree to a bobcat.  This according to the game warden who went with the biologists to check out why the trackers weren't moving. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

And that was the perfect turkey.  Longbeard and easy to carry.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tad1

I've had a bobcat come sneaking in when I was calling.  It's hard being a turkey!

Paulmyr

I wonder if the turkeys lack of body weight was caused by some type of disease or something.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Prospector

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 12, 2024, 01:12:05 PM
I wonder if the turkeys lack of body weight was caused by some type of disease or something.
I wondered if he had been wounded as well. His plumage ( other than the cat bite in his neck) was good. I could find no wounds. His wing's weren't broken and in fact were heavily broomed from strutting. Years ago I killed a bird in that area that only weighed 13 lbs. I noticed he looked small but he had just whipped two other longbeards- maybe he just comes from that scrappy lineage?
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Yoder409

Hopefully, bobcats are legal quarry where you are and you're formulating a plan to hunt and/or trap them this coming fall.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.