turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Price for hevi 13?

Started by Featherbrain, April 11, 2024, 04:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Featherbrain

What's the going rate for hevi 13s in 3.5" #7s these days? I've come across a guy local to me with some for $40 a box? That sound about right/fair?

If this is in the wrong section I apologize, please delete or move.

bbcoach

They are at a Premium since they are no longer made and the cost of TSS going up.  I just pulled some from my gun cabinet to load my vest for our opener on Saturday and the box I pulled out had $25.99 on it.  Most of the ones I bought back in 2009-10 were that price.  The ones I have hoarded are from the very first lot numbers that shot extremely well.  I remember people on this site screaming $5 shells NO WAY, NOT ME!  Now we don't even flinch when we shell out $15 per shell!  My 835 loves these shells and I have plenty, so I won't be going to TSS unless I happen to go to a 20 or .410.  If you do get a few boxes look for Lot numbers 300324, 325, 326 or 300525.  The first 3 shot GREAT and 300525's were above average.  You are the only one that can make this determination.  Any questions, let me know. 

Happy

I have a bunch of 3.5" #6's I bought back in the day. If I remember right, they were $30 something a box.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Marc

No idea that Hevi-shot is no longer making their Hevi-shot load...  The price offered is fair.

The original Hevi-13 came at a density of 13, and then they dropped it down to 12.

I am in a lead-free state, and steel is a horrible option, so I have been shooting Hevi-shot...  1 1/4 oz has killed every bird I have hit with it.

Nothing wrong with TSS, except for the price (probably a better load than Hevi-Shot).  Looks like I will be moving to TSS next season or the season after.

If you can get a hold of any of the Remington Wingmaster HD shells, those were made with the original Hevi-shot material, except for the pellets are actually round (I have better patterns out of these loads).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Featherbrain

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I felt like $40 was probably about right with most of what I've seen on here going for $35 plus shipping. These aren't from those lot numbers but I love these shells and really hating that they are discontinued so I will be picking them up from him. I will do you one better on some #5s I bought back sometime around 09-10 maybe. I had 3 boxes down to 2 now. $13

bbcoach

Here's a viable option for you, https://rogerssportinggoods.com/remington-tss-12guage-3inch-134oz-turkey-loads/

If I was going the TSS route, I would have to give these a try in my gun.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: bbcoach  :icon_thumright:link=topic=118014.msg1186162#msg1186162 date=1712935598
Here's a viable option for you, https://rogerssportinggoods.com/remington-tss-12guage-3inch-134oz-turkey-loads/

If I was going the TSS route, I would have to give these a try in my gun.

Not a bad deal.  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Longshanks

Have a case of Hevi 13 3/2/7's and 3/2/6's. ($19.99 per box). Have 10 boxes of Hevi 3.5/7's. Anyone that wants to buy Hevi 13 3.5/6's I have 5 boxes will sell. Will put them in the classifieds.

bbcoach

Longshanks, I think that $19.99 was the correct price for the Hevi's when they came out with the first run.  For a couple years, they were the HOTTEST thing out there.  Then they started changing their wads and everything went downhill fast.  Then ShotLoc technology and Longbeards were the Talk of the town.  Clark Bush did some extensive testing of the Hevi lineup and posted some 340-350 numbers with the Hevi 7's and several chokes.  Those 3/2/6's and 7's put up some GREAT numbers as well.  IMO the early Hevi lineup was a GREAT shell in the 3 or 3 1/2.  If I didn't have a lifetime supply of the 3 1/2 7's, I would be ALL over those 3/2/6's and 7's. 

Spring Creek Calls

Here's some of the first Hevi Shot that's been in my safe awhile.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

bbcoach

I remember hearing about those White Hevi's Mike but I never shot them.  I do know that they were the start of the Hevi craze, and they shot really well.