turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is it with crows?

Started by shaman, April 11, 2024, 05:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

It took me quite a few years to figure out that I was hearing crows going off shortly before seeing turkeys out in the field.  Come to find out, a lot of other guys had noticed the same thing.  I've been hunting the same farm for over 20 years, and I can almost be assured that a crow will come and find me, and announce my presence to the others, and later I'll hear crows going off across the way just before turkeys come out into the field in front of my blind.

What's up with that?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

bbcoach

shaman

Quote from: bbcoach on April 11, 2024, 06:58:32 AM
Here's a recent thread that may shed some light on your question.

https://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,117371.0.html

Cool thread!  Thanks.

I wonder what the motivation is with crows.  What gets them wound up with turkeys?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Marc

For me it is the ravens...

A turkey call calls them in for sure...  They (and crows) will rob the nests of eggs, and eat the polts...  And in turn turkeys do not like them.

Not sure whether those gobbles are a shock gobble, or irritation or both?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

3bailey3

Had some hawks come to my calling today, two roost in trees nearby and were screaming, no turkey gobbled.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: shaman on April 11, 2024, 03:17:14 PM

Cool thread!  Thanks.

I wonder what the motivation is with crows.  What gets them wound up with turkeys?

Crows are extremely intelligent and probably the most intelligent animal in the woods around here. They also have amazing facial recognition and hold grudges against people they don't like. I think a lot of what we hear in the woods when they're announcing turkeys or other animals is conveying to the other crows in their murder "group/family" what's around and what's going on. A turkey moving through the woods might be heading towards food and the crows can follow them to that. On the other hand the crows might see a turkey or other animal as an intruder in their territory and they want to harass it away. It's hard to say because I don't speak crow but I've seen them act in a variety of ways when interacting with other animals.

Sanders153

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on April 11, 2024, 07:47:56 PM

Cool thread!  Thanks.

Crows are extremely intelligent and probably the most intelligent animal in the woods around here. They also have amazing facial recognition and hold grudges against people they don't like. I think a lot of what we hear in the woods when they're announcing turkeys or other animals is conveying to the other crows in their murder "group/family" what's around and what's going on. A turkey moving through the woods might be heading towards food and the crows can follow them to that. On the other hand the crows might see a turkey or other animal as an intruder in their territory and they want to harass it away. It's hard to say because I don't speak crow but I've seen them act in a variety of ways when interacting with other animals.

They are very intelligent indeed, and it is quite satisfying I must say to call a crow or group of them in with an electronic caller, and slap a cooue of them out of the air before they figure out the setup.

Sanders153

Quote from: Sanders153 on April 12, 2024, 12:05:47 AM
Quote from: Kylongspur88 on April 11, 2024, 07:47:56 PM

Cool thread!  Thanks.

They are very intelligent indeed, and it is quite satisfying I must say to call a crow or group of them in with an electronic caller, and slap a cooue of them out of the air before they figure out the setup.

Meant to say a couple of them

Prospector

They are scary smart. Know a "guy". Twenty years ago hunting a field edge and a murder of crows were incessantly cawing around him. I mean a vicious den! When they started trying to mob and dip down on him, he shot one. Gone. They still have a heavy presence in that are but " he" never has a problem with them anymore. A clear message was sent and seemingly passed down through the generations....????
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!