turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is going on here?

Started by philbilly223, April 10, 2024, 07:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbilly223

Trying to figure out what is happening here with the pattern.  For reference, I am shooting a 12-gauge 870 Express that is around 30 years old, a 23-inch Carlson replacement barrel, the Carlson LBXR choke, and LBXR 3" #5.  The shots were taken on a sunny 75 degree afternoon with a bore snake run through twice between each shot.  The picture is from left to right; #1 20 yards, #2 40 yards, #3 40 yards after adjusting down 2.5 inches, and #4 30 yards adjusting up .75 inches.   The 20 and 30 are great, actually to tight for my liking, but the 40's are not what I would expect.  I had similar results with the TruLock LBXR #5 choke, 20 and 30 were great, but 40 not there, but do not have pictures of that.  Can anyone provide insight on what may be happening at 40 yards?

Thank you very much for the help!   

Ihuntoldschool

Choked too tight.
Inconsistent. 

philbilly223

I was thinking that might be the case.  Thanks.

BandedSpur

Or...you have a bad box of shells. There have been numerous reports of LBXRs of recent manufacture that don't put up anywhere near the patterns that they did when the shells first came out. I have seen it first hand with 3" 1.75 oz 5s. My buddy shot them in his 870 (can't recall what choke now, but it was .665). His patterns went from 150s in 10 to 100 or less at 40 yards. That was about three years ago. He switched to my handloaded TSS then and has never looked back.

bbcoach

Many on this site have done a ton of patterning with the 870 and the consensus is .665 is the optimum choke.  Not sure what ID you have but your buddy is spot on with the .665.  I had a buddy that shot the Super Mag 870 and he had Great results with the IC .665.  He shot the LB 6's

philbilly223

I have an Undertaker .665 that shot the LBXR 6's great, but not the 5's, same issue at 40 yards.  The 6's will be it for this year, but now I am curious so will be exchanging the Tru Lock LBXR choke, which is .660, for the .670 PH to see what that does with the 5's.  Thanks for the feedback.

Bowguy

Few things here. One longbeards imo I've seen inconsistent. I'll never get how fellas get em not to be. They're too tight for me anyhow. Next you need more paper to shoot at. God only knows what the rest of your pattern is doing. Next and don't take this wrong. I watch lots of guys shoot. Even some claiming expert. Many have issues like picking up head, squeezing trigger inconsistently, moving the gun all over on the shot. With tight choke/load combos that's gonna be more apparent. Not saying this is you but you may wish to consider that also as an option. If no one there to watch you with trained observation skills, set up a camera filming you shoot. Watch frame by frame and see if you are doing any of this