OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drumming Frequency

Started by Neill_Prater, April 10, 2024, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

Quote from: blake_08 on April 11, 2024, 05:45:18 PM
https://youtu.be/UI5eEApUXhQ?si=JMTpDVZPZMLCZnxv

Here is the best video I've ever found of a gobbler drumming. For anyone who can't hear drumming in the woods, get some good earbuds or head phones and turn the volume up and you should be able to hear it in the video I posted. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can hear it from a good distance in the woods.

I think 90hz is too high. Seems to me like it's around 50hz based on frequency tones on YouTube, but I'm nobody to disagree with Dr. Williams.

I agree with your assessment of around 50 Hz or so. I was an electrician by trade thus I've been around many large 60 Hz transformers, humming away. I can also hear drumming and it seems something less than the 60 Hz.

Yoder409

Quote from: Robert HoagueThe range of frequencies that a turkey with good hearing can hear is 290 Hz to 5,250 Hz.

Humans with good hearing hear a range from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz.

So, in nosing around, I found an article..........

If the above quote is, indeed, factual, that's blow a BIG old hole in the 50Hz -90Hz theory..........

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Then, there's this:

Quote from: Birds of North AmericaStrutting males emit a sound at intervals sounding like chump (0.08 seconds in duration, 1,000+ Hz) followed by a humm (pitch below 60 Hz; Hale et al. 1969 ); this is accompanied by rapid vibration of rectrices.

Somebody ain't right in their numbers.

A critter is NOT going to produce a sound that its fellow critters can't hear.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

reflexl

Whatever frequincy it is, it is one of the highlights of turkey season. It gets under my skin. I absolutely love it. I had one hung up about 20 yards from me behind cover so that I couldn't shoot, drum continously for nearly an hour before he stepped out so I could shoot him. I was ready for an asylum by that time but loved every minute of it.

Treerooster

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 12, 2024, 11:08:11 AM
Quote from: Robert HoagueThe range of frequencies that a turkey with good hearing can hear is 290 Hz to 5,250 Hz.

Humans with good hearing hear a range from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz.

So, in nosing around, I found an article..........

If the above quote is, indeed, factual, that's blow a BIG old hole in the 50Hz -90Hz theory..........

No I don't think 290 to 5250 HZ is right. You can Google what a certain hz sounds like and 290 is just too high a pitch. Don't sound anything like turkey drumming. You can Google just about any hz in increments of 10 and listen to them. Might need some decent speakers tho when you get towards the real low end sounds.

Treerooster

Ok got back from hunting and looked in the Lovett Williams book. On page 54 he states that drumming occurs around 60 hz and below (my memory was not accurate). He also says most recording equipment can't record sound that low but the book was published in 1984 so that info is over 40 years old.

He calls the 2 parts of  drumming the chump and hum, now more known as the spit and drum. He also states the chump or spit is made sometimes without the hum or drum.

runngun

That's where I read it at! Thanks so much for taking the time to find it!!! I was thinking 50hz!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.