OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 12GA // LB XR Question

Started by NightHawk24, April 10, 2024, 06:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightHawk24

Picking up a 870 12GA. Plan on shooting Longbeard XR 3" #5 shot. Will try both the 1 3/4 load and 1 7/8 loads, but just curious what your guys's experience with those loads were. Was there a significant difference between the 2 different ounce loads, and what choke you had success with?

Thanks in advance!

sswv

my old 870 with the 21" barrel likes about everything I put down it's throat. as far as the LB's go mine shoots one as good as the other. for choke, the factory .665 is the preferred hunting choke but I did buy a Carlson's Long Beard choke and to be honest, it just isn't fair to the turkey using it with the LBXR ammo. I don't hunt with it anymore since I switched to 20's but dang if it wasn't a turkey killer for many, many years.

NightHawk24

Quote from: sswv on April 10, 2024, 06:52:45 PM
my old 870 with the 21" barrel likes about everything I put down it's throat. as far as the LB's go mine shoots one as good as the other. for choke, the factory .665 is the preferred hunting choke but I did buy a Carlson's Long Beard choke and to be honest, it just isn't fair to the turkey using it with the LBXR ammo. I don't hunt with it anymore since I switched to 20's but dang if it wasn't a turkey killer for many, many years.

Appreciate the response! I had an HS Undertaker tube so I may see how that shoots before I look into anything else, but the Carlson's was definitely in consideration. I also mainly run 20GA's now, but I guess it was just something nostalgic that led me to wanting to have a 12GA lead setup.

Ihuntoldschool

5 shot the 1 7/8 ounce will do better.

4 and 6 shot varies from gun to gun.

665 or 660 .

Tom007

I have luck with both the Long Beard 1 7/8 load and the 1 3/4 loads out of Indian Creek tube in my 870's. This tube also has a great pattern with Fox Trot 3 inch 2 ounce loads of number 9 TSS. 870's are patterning machines for sure..
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

I agree with others my old 870 / 12 ga would pretty much shoot it all... my favorite loads were the old federal premium copper lead 2 oz number 5 and 6 shot ...

bbcoach

.665 choke and LB #5's are BAD medicine for turkeys out of a 870. 

Bottomland OG

I have several of the old Remingtons with the short barrels, they like all the lb's but the 1 7/8 oz does the best. 1 likes a .655 kicks , 3 like the ic .665, and 1 likes a jelly head .660

Tom007

Quote from: Bottomland OG on April 18, 2024, 06:33:12 PM
I have several of the old Remingtons with the short barrels, they like all the lb's but the 1 7/8 oz does the best. 1 likes a .655 kicks , 3 like the ic .665, and 1 likes a jelly head .660

All good ones there!
"Solo hunter"

tnanh

Sumtoy 665 likes 5s and 6s in the 1 7/8 load.