turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Millenium Run N' Gun seat or a low profile style lounger

Started by Dazzler, April 10, 2024, 11:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

I have been sitting on the ground for years and the past two I been using my Nomad Turkey Vest cushion along with a wheelbarrow inner tube attached to it and it worked pretty well. This week I said enough was enough and I decided to buy a chair.
I looked at the Millennium Field Pro online but bought the ALPS Outdoor Z Vanish Turkey Chair instead.
It's comfortable but it does weight a lot hitting the scales at 8 lbs. 8 oz. in the XL size chair. I bought the XL size chair thinking it would be bigger (wider) giving more a little more room for mobility to readjust on an incoming bird.
Anybody have any experience with this chair?

Tom007

Browning Strutter Chair when I use one. Built like a tank, solid, won't "tip-over". Folds real nice, has shoulder strap......great for Duck hunting too........
"Solo hunter"

jsc78

I have the Millennium Field Pro Seat that I use in situations where I know there is a good possibility I may be stationary for a decent amount of time.  I definitely have some back issues, both upper and lower, and at least for me anyway, I've found that chair reduces back pain better than a turkey lounger type seat.  I also added a very small, expandable bungee net holder thing on the backside of the section you lean your back against which gives me the option and makes it more convenient to carry other stuff that I mostly only use on longer sits (although the longer sits have become far, far less often with my boys, ages 8 & 5, getting older).  I rarely ever carry more than one decoy, if any at all, yet you can fit two in my setup.  It's also an easy way to carry any excess clothing you and/or your kid/grandkid may shed.

Based on your original post, I'm guessing you may not be interested in Field Pro Seat, but if you are, PM me (or anyone else who may be interested), and I'll send you pics of my setup. 

bbcoach

What I really disliked about it, is it is difficult to reposition on a bird coming in.  Especially if the bird comes into my hard right (as a right-handed shooter).

For those that use a chair and have this problem, I learned this little trick early on in my turkey hunting career.  Position the chair 75 to 90 degrees away from the direction you think the bird is going to come from toward your shooting shoulder.  This helps you to keep your left side open for righties and the right side open for lefties.  This will open your swing to 150 degrees or more.  Most of the loungers have low arm rests so you can pick up your leg and knee and move it to the rear over the arm rest with minimal effort if you need to.  It isn't fool proof, but it definitely allows more swing arc with minimal movement.

Marc

Quote from: g8rvet on April 11, 2024, 05:23:40 PM
I have spun 90 degrees in the Millenium, with my arm resting sideways on the back rest and killed a couple birds basically 180 from the way I was facing (probably more like 145, but close).

Good to know...

I was not in the brand being discussed (something from Walmart), and I am short.

If I am shooting far right or behind me, I tend to spin/slide my whole gluteus maximus, Which I could not do in a chair (or at least the chair I was using).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bbcoach

No problem Marc.  Just thought I would forward that tidbit of info along.  Like I said nothing is fool proof.  By the way, this little bit of info works really well when you are setting on the ground.  Open up that left side when you set down.  Don't position your face at his gobbling, point your left shoulder at him.   

Sungrazer

I bought a Browning woodsman chair last year out of desperation on the way home from a hunting trip. Plain Jane camouflage folding chair with a couple pockets  on front seat bottom, carry strap. I replaced my strap with a universal Quake Claw strap. Was more comfortable than my knight&hale rng seat cushion!

Marc

Quote from: bbcoach on April 12, 2024, 04:53:10 PM
Open up that left side when you set down.  Don't position your face at his gobbling, point your left shoulder at him.

What I have found, is that instead of facing the direction the bird is gobbling, I turn 180° and face the opposite way...  Cause if I face the direction he is coming from, he is CERTAIN TO COME IN FROM BEHIND ME. :goofball:

But yes...  I actually do the same...  Left should pointed in the direction I think he will come...  But they so rarely come in from the direction I think, that I really should just turn and face the tree.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.