OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Vest Modifications

Started by NOmad, April 10, 2024, 11:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NOmad

I have a pile of vests laying around that I have hunted over the years. Most are pretty good, some are awful, and none are perfect. With that being said, I do like certain aspects of each vest and intend to "frankenstein" one together in my spare time to see what I can come up with.

My question to you all is: if you have made modifications to your vest, are there any you feel made a large difference or was a "game changer" for you? if you have not made modifications to your vest, what is your favorite part of you favorite vest?

FWIW: I am currently using a Grounded Impact Vest and I really enjoy it. Heavier than I want and about 650 too many buckles and clips (adjustability, I know) but the seat, the seat magnets, the totally contained compartments, and the fit of the vest work great for me.

aclawrence

One modification I would like to make to My Alps Grandslam vest is to remove the box call pocket from the front of the vest.  I dont' know why we still need box call pockets on the front of a vest.  They're always clumsy or too small.  I carry a long box in a Glenda Green long box holster and I thread some of the straps by the bottle holder pockets on the side through the box call holster.  That works find and keeps the front less bulky.  Striker pockets need to be a little bit deeper.  I took the top of the game pouch section on the back and folded it over and sewed it down so the back doesn't "hang back" so loosely.  I stays tighter and closer to my back.  I would like to add a nice durable pocket for my pruning shears.  Maybe a vest with some molle and different accessory pockets would be a decent option.  But I think the molle pockets hang a little loose sometimes. 

turkeykiller22

NOmad,

I just wanted to say thanks for running our vest. I know it has its quirks but hopefully we were able to make a nice addition to the market. Im always looking for new ideas and things to improve on so thank you for the feedback on what you do not like as well!

-Drew

Quote from: NOmad on April 10, 2024, 11:08:29 AM
I have a pile of vests laying around that I have hunted over the years. Most are pretty good, some are awful, and none are perfect. With that being said, I do like certain aspects of each vest and intend to "frankenstein" one together in my spare time to see what I can come up with.

My question to you all is: if you have made modifications to your vest, are there any you feel made a large difference or was a "game changer" for you? if you have not made modifications to your vest, what is your favorite part of you favorite vest?

FWIW: I am currently using a Grounded Impact Vest and I really enjoy it. Heavier than I want and about 650 too many buckles and clips (adjustability, I know) but the seat, the seat magnets, the totally contained compartments, and the fit of the vest work great for me.
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Wigsplitter

I ised a grounded vest myself for awhile before I went vestless and drew - the owner- also personally reached out to me as well - the fact that he is still doing that speaks volumes for his company!! He did listen and make some improvements over his first vest and looks like is willing to entertain ideas. Great job grounded brand and drew!

Zobo

I've been modifying my current vest for over 10 years. I think it's starting to get there, lol. My favorite latest changes have been:

#1 all closers that were once magnetic have been changed to buttons, zippers or clips. Now I don't lose gear anymore, especially strikers. Most striker pockets on vests are too short and insecure.

#2 I sewed in a dedicated longbox pocket and a couple of protective yelper/trumpet tube slip pockets to securely protect those calls.

#3 I lashed a fixed blade ultralight ESEE knife to the left shoulder strap so I can have a knife handy,with limited movement necessary, when I'm set up. I've used it numerous times to remove that annoying twig that always seems to be poking me in the back.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

btomlin

NOmad

Quote from: Zobo on April 10, 2024, 09:24:27 PM
#2 I sewed in a dedicated longbox pocket and a couple of protective yelper/trumpet tube slip pockets to securely protect those calls.

Zobo - I carry a trumpet a lot and hate just sticking it in my vest in its sleeve. How to do you fashion the protective tube pocket? It is a Ricky Padgett trumpet so a bit on the smaller side and I am constantly worried about breaking it.

NOmad

Quote from: turkeykiller22 on April 10, 2024, 08:18:32 PM
NOmad,

I just wanted to say thanks for running our vest. I know it has its quirks but hopefully we were able to make a nice addition to the market. Im always looking for new ideas and things to improve on so thank you for the feedback on what you do not like as well!

-Drew

Quote from: NOmad on April 10, 2024, 11:08:29 AM

Absolutely, Drew! I have each version yall have released and my critiques are minor. Thanks for constantly seeking the feedback you need to make improvements, and then actually making those improvements. I can tell you one thing, you all have absolutely nailed the seat cushion and fastening magnets which I see people complain about (on other vests) constantly.

NOmad

Thanks everyone for all the replies, awesome thread.

Notsoyoungturk

Most striker pockets on vests are too short and insecure.

Amen, Brother
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

paboxcall

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on April 11, 2024, 10:09:13 AM

Most striker pockets on vests are too short and insecure.

Amen, Brother

:agreed:
A valued striker stashed away in a narrow pocket with an elongated flap / magnet is begging to be lost.

Great concept, lousy execution.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Zobo

I removed the magnets and replace with good ol buttons. I like buttons they are quiet and I cut the fingertips off my gloves so it's not a problem to unbutton.
   I sewed a camo sleve into a large vest pocket and added the plastic tube. You want to use the smallest diameter that will still fit your yelper.  You can add a flap with a button if you chose to sew it on the outside of your vest.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sungrazer

I just ordered 3 different molle pouches from AliExpress for $6.63 shipped. One pouch was for a walkie talkie, hoping my therma-cell fits nicely, plan to attach with zip-ties to my RNG300. New this season is a Glenda Green innertube seat, if my posterior approves I plan to pull threads out of the RNG seat cushion quick release straps and have a shop see them onto the Glenda Green seat. I also cut out the plastic lining out of the shell pouch. Neat idea but on frigid mornings it makes crinkle noises, and if it's raining I put ammo in a ziplock anyway.

NOmad

Quote from: Zobo on April 11, 2024, 02:38:06 PM
I removed the magnets and replace with good ol buttons. I like buttons they are quiet and I cut the fingertips off my gloves so it's not a problem to unbutton.
   I sewed a camo sleve into a large vest pocket and added the plastic tube. You want to use the smallest diameter that will still fit your yelper.  You can add a flap with a button if you chose to sew it on the outside of your vest.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

This is awesome, thank you!