OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Successful VA youth weekend

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, April 08, 2024, 08:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

Another special youth weekend in the books.  Been watching this bird for the past few weeks and he was very routine with where he was showing up to strut with some hens.  This bird would not tolerate any other gobblers around hens when watching him, so putting a Jake decoy with a layed down hen out would be the setup.

After some awesome roost gobbling to start the morning I finally had a bird answer me about 200 yards off the field we were setup on.  Soon a bird would answer me about 70 yards and coming towards the field.  After about 10 minutes I could see 2 longbeards making a beeline to the jake decoy.  I quickly turned on the red dot and told my son to make sure they separated and make sure not to shoot two.  After what seemed forever, but more like 30 seconds they separated and and he did the rest.

Couldnt be anymore proud, but more important is seeing his excitement for turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

Great job to the little guy! Congrats to both of you.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Vintage

fishr64

Great job dad! Congratulations to the young man on the dandy gobbler!!

JeffC

Big Congrats to the young hunter, great picture, thanks for sharing!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

krm944

Congrats!

We hunted in the VA youth weekend as well. Saturday's winds (16-20mph) did us in. Sunday we saw a lot of birds at our big field, but they were all out of range. Little guy was content with seeing birds.

Turkeybutt

Congratulations to you and your son. Way to go buddy!
I'm sure there will be many more in his career.

King Cobra

Always great to see the kids getting out there. Congratulations!
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Teamblue

Way to go young man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wvgobbler