turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Walking Stick / Trekking Poles

Started by Greg Massey, April 08, 2024, 10:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Last year, i brought up the subject about either a walking stick or using a Trekking pole while scouting / walking / hunting in the woods. As i have gotten older my balance isn't as good as it was in my 20's / 30's .. LOL... So this pass summer I ordered and received 2 Leki Trekking poles with cork handles and i can tell you after using these this pass month scouting and walking in the woods it a game changer for us old men. I would highly suggest getting one of these poles.

Young or old can benefit from using one of the trekking poles .

Turkeyman

I used a pair of good trek poles several years ago when doing quite a bit of mountain hiking...the Adirondack 46. Lately I fairly often use one as you do because of age related balance issues.

Dtrkyman

My wife has a set of Leki poles, really nice, I only use them packing meat or heavy loads in the mountains!

Work on your foot and toe strength to improve your balance, and keep using the poles!

CALLM2U

I started using then while elk/mule deer hunting out West.  They quickly got implemented into my gear for the Appalachian mountains as well.  With heavy packs, snow, ice ect, it makes a big difference.

I will say though, I don't use them in the Spring.  Only in the Fall. 

Tclipse01

For folks looking for a great set of budget poles, the Cascade Mountain poles in Carbon Fiber are a great option.

$55 on Amazon, but Costco sells them at 2 pairs for $80 if you can find somebody to split.

They are a steal for $40. Very light and well-regarded on most hunting forums. I used mine on a week-long aoudad hunt in New Mexico this year, they worked great.

PalmettoRon

I definitely use Leki hiking poles when hiking or hunting in super hilly or mountainous areas. It makes a huge difference in safety going downhill and takes a lot of stress off the knees and back.

I've turned a number of folks on to them. Hiking poles are definitely a useful hunting tool.

fishr64

I got a set of Peak stiks prior to our deer seasons last year and they were great. I was mainly using one as a walking stick for the steep climbing in our north central PA mountains and they worked awesome. There were some crappy weather days that I used the pair and they kept me up and on my feet in slippery conditions.

My brother used one for two days and loved them, as he's been having trouble with his one knee. I got the cork grips too for better feeling in all conditions and was happy with them.

Definitely worth the investment.

Howie g

I have a 4 foot hickory limb with me most of the time .
Used for balance/ whacking snakes / getting banana spiders out trail .
And if I venture into town , it helps keep the hot girls off me ...

mcw3734

Young or old, they are a great tool. I use them on every backpacking and big game hunt I go on. Besides using them to haul out quarters, they are great for uphill climbs. Takes pressure off your legs and you'll find yourself going further and quicker. They are very popular with the ultramarathon crowd for a reason.

I will say as hunters, when you want them out of the way for a stalk or need your weapon handy, it's nice to have the collapsible type that you can throw in your backpack. That's kind of a necessity.

Sir-diealot

I am glad they worked out for you Greg, truly am.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

crow

Quote from: Howie g on April 08, 2024, 09:43:16 PM

I still like a hickory walking stick, I cut them a little longer. they help going thru the woods quieter, stepping over logs and getting back up from setting up against a tree.

usually don't use in town, I'll take my chances with the hot hippie chicks

Howie g

Quote from: crow on April 09, 2024, 07:37:33 AM
Quote from: Howie g on April 08, 2024, 09:43:16 PM

I still like a hickory walking stick, I cut them a little longer. they help going thru the woods quieter, stepping over logs and getting back up from setting up against a tree.

usually don't use in town, I'll take my chances with the hot hippie chicks
lol ????

backforty

I bought one a year ago and always forget to grab the dang thing. Gonna use it this yr
Print by Madison, on Flickr

silvestris

I couldn't hunt without one and barely with one.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

timberman1979

Have been using walking sticks for last 20 yrs cruising timber in NC, SC and VA when it's open enough I don't need a machete. I prefer a 4-5 ft straight hickory sapling ( I have 3 in bed of truck ) Good for many things like plot centers,  finding stump holes, checking ground conditions, spider webs, moving snakes and the occasional bad dog.