OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

GG Satchel Mod

Started by Prospector, April 07, 2024, 08:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prospector

So I love my GG Satchel. Only small , exceedingly minor complaint is its tendency to swing forward off my hip if I bend to go under something. So I came up with a "fix". On the shoulder strap facing to my rear I attached a parachord loop cut to personal length and a carabiner. So when I swing onto my left hip, the loop is passed behind me at my belt line and secured to my belt loop on my right side. I nixed fastening to my rear loop as it required dexterity I don't have lol. Anyway it keeps the satchel planted on your hip as you maneuver on that hot Tom.
   For Christmas this past year I got the GG Tube Seat. I have been experimenting with its transport as well. I think I am liking carrying it on my rt hip attached to my belt loop by another caribiner. I would appreciate any ideas you fellas have as well.
   If you are debating a satchel from Glenda please indulge. They are Handmade quality and will carry everything a reasonable vest will- except the gobbler, but that's for your new gobbler tote- which easily fits in your new satchel.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Greg Massey

I got here to incorporate the rubber part of a claw sling into my shoulder strap and i asked her to add connect / fastener to one of her short box and longbox holster and she added swivel clasp to the shoulder strap so i can attach / carry those on either side of the shoulder strap. This way i don't have to access the bag to use a box call while moving in trying to strike a gobbler.

I also had her put a swivel clasp to the flip over bag cover to attach my tube seat from her...

I agree, i really like her satchel and other products, gun slings, turkey tote etc...

mikejd

I hunt with the GG minimalist now but years ago I hunted with a similar satchel made by Penns Woods
and other then the shoulder strap there was a thin belt with a clasp that went around your waist to keep the bag from swinging. I have wanted to add this to my GG for a while. I will do it eventually. Im sure something as simple as a piece of paracord with a clasp will do the job.

Prospector

Yeah it'll be great until I take it off my shoulder , forget to undue the waist strap, and then get up to run to a downed gobbler.....LOL
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

mikejd

Quote from: Prospector on April 07, 2024, 03:36:48 PM
Yeah it'll be great until I take it off my shoulder , forget to undue the waist strap, and then get up to run to a downed gobbler.....LOL

Calls flying all over the place. Nah you would not be able to sit comfortably with the strap still around the waist. You would know you for got.

Wigsplitter

I am also fooling with carrying the seat — definitely need a swivel incorporated in there - right now I use a carabiner and attach it to my belt loop or if wearing overalls I attach it to the strap of the satchel- if carrying on belt loop it definitely needs to be dead center in the back or it will rake / drag limbs on your side and will twist the carry handle that's on the seat- I'll get it figured out or ask her to add a few things on my next one BUT I would tote it in my teeth if I had to— great seat!!!

Bill

Quote from: Prospector on April 07, 2024, 08:37:41 AM
I have been experimenting with its transport as well. I think I am liking carrying it on my rt hip attached to my belt loop by another caribiner. I would appreciate any ideas you fellas have as well.

I wound up fitting a leather insert inside the seat with a stout magnet attached. This mates with a leather belt loop similarly fitted with a magnet.  This way, the seat can be carried at any belt position without flopping around.

Probably better explained with a picture:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snood Life

Quote from: Bill on April 07, 2024, 10:48:37 PM
I have been experimenting with its transport as well. I think I am liking carrying it on my rt hip attached to my belt loop by another caribiner. I would appreciate any ideas you fellas have as well.

I wound up fitting a leather insert inside the seat with a stout magnet attached. This mates with a leather belt loop similarly fitted with a magnet.  This way, the seat can be carried at any belt position without flopping around.

This is without a doubt one of the most impressive things I have seen in a long time. Bravo!

crucible7

Quote from: Bill on April 07, 2024, 10:48:37 PM

Where did you find the magnet and leather loop? Did you make it? Because that's genius!

I love my GG seat but hate it flopping around on a carabiner hooked to my belt loop. When I wear a vest, it's in the bird bag but otherwise it's on my belt. If I could figure out how to put a waist strap on it, I'd do that.

Bill

Quote from: crucible7 on April 09, 2024, 11:58:12 PM

Where did you find the magnet and leather loop? Did you make it? Because that's genius!

I love my GG seat but hate it flopping around on a carabiner hooked to my belt loop. When I wear a vest, it's in the bird bag but otherwise it's on my belt. If I could figure out how to put a waist strap on it, I'd do that.

Thanks for the kind words.

The magnet(s) came from McMaster Carr.  They are far stouter than the feeble magnets typically used on commercial vest/seat attachment set ups.   I made the leather belt loop and insert for Glenda's seat.  The trick to making it work without being floppy is the leather insert inside the seat.  It's the same diameter as the seat interior and adds just enough structure.

Or season opens next week and I'm looking forward to trying it out.  I'm thinking this along with Glenda's satchel should be the berries for traveling light.  If anyone is interested in more detailed specs, give me a holler.     

Wigsplitter

Great idea thanks for sharing!!