OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ML Lynch -box calls from the early 1950s

Started by Super Fox, April 06, 2024, 07:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Fox

Early Lynch box calls have a unique tone.
I have 3  1950s calls that are inherited.  Liberty, MS. and Birmingham, AL.
At least one in the turkey coat 24/7.

Yoder409

Lynch boxes are just flat-out killers, as well as pieces of turkey hunting history.

Be aware, though........  The date on the paddle of the call is NOT the date the call was made.  Birmingham calls were made up to and (I think) including 1970.   Liberty, MS calls were made from 1970-71 until the company moved to Thomasville, GA.

Early 1950's Lynch calls would likely be World Champion calls of the 4-hole, 12-hole and "Turkey in the Pines" varieties.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

runngun

Yep!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Super Fox

You are right-I have only one of the World Champion variety Lynch long box.

It has the best tone-I need to switch it out as it doesn't need to be lost or broken.

Featherbrain

Quote from: Super Fox on April 07, 2024, 09:37:07 AM
You are right-I have only one of the World Champion variety Lynch long box.

It has the best tone-I need to switch it out as it doesn't need to be lost or broken.

That's the best reason to use it! However, I do get what you're sayin.

ColemantownHC

I'm still hunting my grandfathers 12 hole Lynch, he scratched the year 1951 in it, which is when he bought it. I have his Lynch box, my great grandfathers 3 hole lynch box, my dads Lynch "Deluxe" box and my Lynch box that was given to me when I turned 9. I also bought each of my sons a lynch box. I have other Lynch boxes and none come close to the sound of that 12 hole.

doublespurs21

that thing has seen some turkey hunting days......

3bailey3

Yoder409

VERY cool !!!!!!    :you_rock:

That one's seen a few turkeys die.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ColemantownHC

Yeah and the parts that chipped off were full of notches also lol. He also scratched my initials and my uncles initials in the bottom and tallied each bird he called in that we killed lol. I'm worried to lose it or break it, but i keep hunting it because he wouldn't have had it any other way. There is years of time spent together with my grandfather in the presence of that call.

fishr64

Priceless piece of family history. Very cool!!

Tom007

If that 12 hole could talk, we would all learn and hear some amazing stories. I will say, I have a small collection of 101's, and 102's. I definitely see a sound difference in the Alabama Calls over the others. They just sound awesome, maybe it's just my ear......
"Solo hunter"

tlewis81

my dad always has at least 1 lynch with him lol

ColemantownHC

Quote from: Tom007 on April 11, 2024, 09:39:48 AM
If that 12 hole could talk, we would all learn and hear some amazing stories. I will say, I have a small collection of 101's, and 102's. I definitely see a sound difference in the Alabama Calls over the others. They just sound awesome, maybe it's just my ear......

I feel like as box calls age, they mature to a degree and the sound changes, some for the better and some for the worst. The exposure to climates, oils from our hands, burnishing/patina from carry, chalk and varying "patina" all effect the wood. Grain loosens or tightens, joints change, glues age and change, contact surfaces are conditioned and worn, etc....

Yoder409

Quote from: ColemantownHC on April 15, 2024, 09:52:57 AM

I feel like as box calls age, they mature to a degree and the sound changes, some for the better and some for the worst. The exposure to climates, oils from our hands, burnishing/patina from carry, chalk and varying "patina" all effect the wood. Grain loosens or tightens, joints change, glues age and change, contact surfaces are conditioned and worn, etc....

Agreed.

Seemingly....... if a call has been taken care of........ they rarely get TOO much worse.

I've had the honor of playing a small handful of 100-ish year old, original Tom Turpin boxes.  They'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up !!!

I've got a number of Lynches between 55 and 75 years old.  Every last one of them will hunt.
PA elitist since 1979