2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

tracker vi

Marc

Quote from: deadbuck on April 05, 2024, 09:52:03 AM
90% public until Covid, now 90% private because there are no birds to hunt on the public now. Heck, there arent even any trucks on the public any longer because they finally got the memo when the last bird was killed.

Last year was 100% private for me...  This year will likely be the same.  Same reasons.

During COVID, there is a small area I like to hunt that is about 30 acres with a small parking lot...  There were 12 vehicles in the lot (I have previously never seen anyone hunt the area).  I would never have even considered hunting the area with another vehicle there...  Not quite sure how at least 12 people worked out hunting a 30 acre unit???

I believe that the apps such as Gaia and OnX have had a huge negative impact on my own hunting....  Great apps, but the areas I knew about that were someone "secret," are no longer secret at all.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dtrkyman

98% public these days, used to be the opposite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

Last year 90%/10% private.

This year will be a 70%/30% public.

Stayed home last year and only went to OH and hunted public. This year I have an out of state trip which will encompass multiple states. The second trip will only be one state. Combining the two trips will be 70% of my hunting.

Howie g

About a50 /50 mixture .
And believe me in area as I hunt the private gets hunted harder than the public .

357MAGNOLE

50/50

I hit public hard the first few days it's open. After that birds seem to shut up for the most part. Plus down here in the south it's not as fun walking miles in 85 degrees weather hearing nothing.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

randy6471

Bottomland OG

Generally 80% public/ 20% private. It will very from year to year some. If I have plenty of birds on my farm I will take one in a season and hunt public afterward. Years the numbers are down on the farm then I hunt it at all.

Hersh

RutnNStrutn

In the early years of my turkey hunting career, it was all public. Later I got on some leases, but still hunted some public as well. Much later on I tried a few outfitters and hunted my own land. I might try a little public again this year for old times sake.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

quavers59

100% Public in both New York + New Jersey.

Yoder409

100% private at home

100% public out of state (except for NE and FL)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Kylongspur88

3bailey3

85 private-15 public, i hunted a 30k public this morning and didn't see one truck, heard nothing, locals knew!