turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke Tubes / cleaning / lube

Started by Greg Massey, April 05, 2024, 08:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Don't take for granted those choke tubes keep them clean and lubed with some Anti-Seize.  Even a gun that has been in long term storage needs to be checked and cleaned and refreshed with a new anti- Seize.  Over time some anti-Seize can become gummy and cause the choke to be hard to remove. So word of caution be sure and check all of your guns with screw in choke tubes.

I checked a couple of guns yesterday that had been in storage / long term and i was surprised how over time the anti-Seize even made the chokes hard to remove as it had broken down and became gummy and dried out ...

Just a word of caution check all your guns and choke tubes on a regular basis.

I was using what was supposed to be some of the best made in anti-Seize. I'm not so sure now it's the best made. But i was still able to remove those chokes from those in storgae for a long time.

King Cobra

Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Badger

davisd9

Never have used a choke lube and never had any issues. Some swear by it but if you keep the gun cleaned and oiled I think you will be fine.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on April 05, 2024, 10:55:04 AM
Never have used a choke lube and never had any issues. Some swear by it but if you keep the gun cleaned and oiled I think you will be fine.

I still use choke lube regardless, and i agree with you on keeping them clean...

bbcoach

GREAT INFO Greg!  With the long fine threads of today's choke tubes, it is imperative that we check ALL of our guns periodically to ensure they are easy to screw in and out of our guns.  Since most of us take them into the elements and don't give a thought when we store them, it is very easy to get moisture between the choke and the barrel and we all know what that means.  As Greg said, don't neglect this one critical item when cleaning your firearm or you may be buying a NEW barrel.

Forgot to mention, most of the chokes are made from 17-4 stainless steel so you could have dissimilar/galvanic corrosion that can develop between the carbon steel barrel and the stainless-steel choke.  A little grease will help prevent water from getting into and around the threads causing this to be a problem.  An ounce of prevention can prevent a pound of cure.

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 05, 2024, 12:07:39 PM

I still use choke lube regardless, and i agree with you on keeping them clean...

X2. I have a gunsmith friend who says he gets a few shotguns a year with stuck chokes. He says choke tube grease is a cheap way of never needing a gunsmith to remove your choke. I never had a problem, the lube tube will last a lifetime, you use very little.....
"Solo hunter"

Tail Feathers

I store mine with the chokes backed out a turn or two.  If it somehow gets stuck being able to turn a bit both ways makes it easier to remove. 
Never had one stuck but I'm told this can help.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wchadw

I take my chokes out at the end of the season and clean them with brake cleaner and scrub them out with a brush
I store guns with the chokes out and put choke lube on them when I put them back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

I put my chokes in my ultrasonic cleaner. When they come out, they're good as new.
Working on shotguns, I have seen a lot of guns ruined by stuck chokes. I usually see them after 4 or 5 folks have tried to get them out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

g8rvet

Clenzoil Hinge Pin Jelly.  Dirt cheap and it lasts until you clean it off.  I use it on the parts of my Muzzle loader shotguns (the biggest test for corrosion) and the chokes and nipple caps just come right undone.  Did not clean one for a month one time and everything just came right off.  You don't need to coat the choke, just a bit in the lower part of the threads and screw it in. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tom007

Quote from: g8rvet on April 05, 2024, 05:25:14 PM
Clenzoil Hinge Pin Jelly.  Dirt cheap and it lasts until you clean it off.  I use it on the parts of my Muzzle loader shotguns (the biggest test for corrosion) and the chokes and nipple caps just come right undone.  Did not clean one for a month one time and everything just came right off.  You don't need to coat the choke, just a bit in the lower part of the threads and screw it in.

Thanks for sharing this....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: g8rvet on April 05, 2024, 05:25:14 PM

Thanks for sharing, i will give it a try ..

Marc

•   Any gun lubrication will work.  Anti-seize works better, but not necessary.  Chokes should all be lubed.
•   I always loosen my choke a tad when storing.
•   If there is any chance any moisture got in, the choke is removed, cleaned, and re-lubed.
•   Shooting ultra tight chokes with the wrong shot can bulge the barrel, and no lubrication will fix this.  If shooting some of the harder non-tox shot, make sure you have a choke that is SAFE TO USE with this shot!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.