OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sighting in a Burris Fastfire

Started by gwbman, April 04, 2024, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwbman

I read an article years ago about point of impact being affected when sighting in and when shooting at a turkey. It said in effect, when sighting in you hold the gun tighter sighting in expecting recoil than you would if shooting at a bird. It said you would probably not be holding as tight when shooting at a bird. My question is would your point of impact tend be lower or higher when shooting at a bird?

Tom007

Shooting any firearm is dependent upon breathing, relaxing, solid hold. Do not over-guess what your doing. Hold relaxed, tension causes torque. Breath, exhale, squeeze the trigger. You will be consistent if you duplicate this every time. Good luck!
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

While shooting a gobbler or anything else, your adrenaline kicks in and most of the time you will never feel the recoil of the gun. As Tom said, don't over guess it..

Wigsplitter

I agree with the others - don't overthink this - a good even shotgun pattern will allow you a little wiggle room - you should be fine

Bowguy

Tom gave good advice. Idk bout others but I never squeeze the heck out of anything. Remember something, anytime you read or hear something once, twice it could be someone just trying to sell an article that may or may not have merit. Anytime you hear something it may or not might be true even if a bunch of guys suddenly agree. Sometimes there's bandwagon jumping going on or the person posting might not know what they don't know. The experience might not be there. This site has some really good guys. Learn from the experienced but keep your mind open as well. If you were worried why not shoot paper and see yourself if you experience difference? Get a sled or cradle to help hold on target, shoot something by holding very lightly using the method Tom explained. Than hold it a little tighter using same method.

Ihuntoldschool

In "theory" a loose hold when shooting a gobbler would more likely cause you to shoot high compared to a "tight" hold when sighting in.

If I was you I'd ignore that advice in the article. Sight in where you want your pattern to hit and forget about it.