hunting with vintage box calls

Started by doublespurs21, March 30, 2024, 10:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doublespurs21

going to try  using vintage box calls this  year,,,,,  just for fun,,,

doublespurs21

the quaker boy call is from 1998, singed my Dick Kirby,,,

paboxcall

1998 is vintage? This post made me feel old.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Yoder409

Quote from: paboxcall on March 30, 2024, 11:24:28 AM
1998 is vintage? This post made me feel old.

You ARE old, John Boy.     :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Cool set of calls, right there !!!

I'd lean heavily on the Quaker Boy if I was hungry for turkey.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

cgarner1

Spring Creek Calls

Here's one, very old hen in this one. I would not hesitate to hunt it in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Yoder409

A lot of those old True Tone boxes were legit.  Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Bringintheh2o

I have a friend who kills turkeys every year with a Lohman 870 box call. That is the only call he uses.

1iagobblergetter

I still have my Quaker Boy box just like that one..It'll definitely fool em..

GobbleGitr

The author Jim Spencer still favors an old Lohman box. I still work in my Primos Lil' Heart Breaker. Broke out my Kenny Morgan Frictionwood (I know it is not a box...but a cool rectangular wooden pot style call) a few times with great success

jmart241

My old Quaker sounds good might have to get mine out still use my original Heartbreaker yet

WildTigerTrout

I must be getting old also as I bought two out of the three calls pictured new.  HA! I have a numbered and dated Quaker Boy "Grand Old Master" and the top Lohman call in the OP photo.  My most used vintage box call is an early to mid 1970's Liberty Mississippi Lynch "World Champion".
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mspaci

That QB will get it done fo sure, I yake mine and kill a bird w it now and then. Early on & for a long time it was my main box.

Yoder409

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 12, 2024, 09:43:42 PM
I must be getting old also as I bought two out of the three calls pictured new.  HA! I have a numbered and dated Quaker Boy "Grand Old Master" and the top Lohman call in the OP photo.  My most used vintage box call is an early to mid 1970's Liberty Mississippi Lynch "World Champion".

There were good calls and bad calls in every batch of vintage, production boxes.  Problem is....... All too often, the bad ones made it on to the store shelf, same as the good ones.

The older Lynches and Quaker Boys represented some of the very highest percentages of GOOD calls. 
PA elitist since 1979