turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Turkey gun setup

Started by Ksteppe, March 28, 2024, 01:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ksteppe

New member of OG and figured this would be the perfect place to get some advice on a new turkey gun I'll be setting up here very soon.  I know that every gun is different but wanted to get some input on what has worked best for you! I have finally decided I'm going to finally put together a gun dedicated to turkey hunting with a shorter barrel and pump action. I was able to pick up a brand new in box Browning 12g BPS NWTF edition with the 24" barrel and INV+ choke system. I'll be shooting 3" Federal TSS #9 and 3" Apex #9 for the most part and wanted some advice on the best choke constriction for that load through the BPS with that barrel length?  Also I am planning to run a Holosun 507k red dot and wanted to see if anyone had the part number or a link to a good pic rail for the BPS. Thanks for any help.

g8rvet

Sounds nice, but why TSS in a 12 gauge?  You can shoot #6 or #5 and smoke one at 40 yards.  Not being critical, just curious.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

HillclimberWV

I agree with the above. In my 12 i can do 200 in a 10" with #6 and 150 with #5 in 3" winchester longbeards. I mostly hunt with 5s due to a more even pattern the 6s are essentially a really hot core. If you are in a non toxic state i would look at herters 2"3/4 tss from basspro or cabelas. On cheaper end for tss and plenty of shot.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RED NECK

I've been shooting the NWTF bps 12 in 3.5" for a long time and Ive shot a dozen longbeards with a .675 Kicks gobblin' thunder and winchester supreme #5 3.5" and then another dozen shooting winchester longbeard 5's 3.5",

I like the .675 diameter and I have great patterns with what I shoot,shells and choke. I bought an identical gun a month ago and have both setup the same way,except I havent decided on which choke, I have an Indian creek .665, Patternmaster code black turkey .665, Avian crusher,Carlson Longbeard and 4-5 more to shoot next few weeks. 

I had used the browning bps bases on mine if I used a red dot or scope but I recently had my gunsmith drill one more hole in each receiver so I can either use the egw .670 universal base or the sumtoy bases, which is what I have mounted currently on both guns.

I shot some tss 7's from my gun but I can't shoot 9's yet, if you go with a Kicks choke, you can shoot tss though them, I emailed them a few years back and the answer was "Yes, you can shoot Tss through our chokes"...so don't listen to anyone that tells you you can't.....enjoy the new gun....my favorite turkey gun ever built...but I have the ultimate cynergy turkey on the way so we shall see......if you have any questions, send me a private message and Ill do my best to help, I don't check threads much and I am busy at work.....I'm not one of the Elitist holier than thou ones....
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

BrowningGuy88

I have a Maxus (Inv +) and I am using a Sumtoy 676 in it and it is nasty! I use Hevi 3.5" Mag Blends and will until my stash runs out. That gun/choke shoots lead 5's and 6's really well too.

I haven't shot much TSS through it, but 1 3/4 ounce of T9's is a good even pattern out of it.

TrackeySauresRex

:wagon:

Congrats and good luck with the new turkey thumper. Like the rest had said, I believe as well. Do a search on the forum and you may find some BPS /choke combos. Experiment with some lead first before you spend a small fortune on them high dollar shells. Have fun with it and post up some patterns on the pattern board as well.
Good luck and happy hunting
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Ihuntoldschool

685 to 695 for hunting pattern.

Go tighter if you playing the numbers game.
All in how you want your pattern to look

Bowguy

Welcome as guys said, best part about a 12 is you don't need tss. Why spend all that money if you didn't have to

Tom007

Welcome, and best of luck with your gun. Browning are phenomenal guns and make great turkey stoppers. You have a lot of great advice above, I'll just add that Longbeard are a fine shooting shell for the money, they knock 'em down especially out of a 12 gauge.....
"Solo hunter"

randywallace

If you look at cost, performance and pellet count per shell, most every TSS load out there today is superior to the Federal. 

Federal 3 inch TSS 9s are 1 3/4 ounce.  Apex and others load 3 inch 9s at 2 1/4 or even 2 1/2 ounces.  TSS 9s are roughly 362 per ounce so you are talking about another 180 to 270 pellets per shell.

There are too many TSS ammo producers out there now with a superior product to even consider Federal.

Greg Massey

Welcome and i agree with others, no need for TSS in your 12 ga...

Canadian

Quote from: g8rvet on March 28, 2024, 01:41:57 PM
Sounds nice, but why TSS in a 12 gauge?  You can shoot #6 or #5 and smoke one at 40 yards.  Not being critical, just curious.   
As someone who has both 20ga and 12ga, and loads/shoots TSS for both, ill merely share my perspective to your curiosity.

For me, i just feel as though i owe it to the bird. Ill pay the extra money EVERY shot in order to minimize human error and ensure ethical, lights out shots for the bird. I once took a guy hunting who had never killed a bird, but had missed 4 prior (lots of issues and red flags here, i know). I invited him over, he patterned his gun with 3" XRs, was shooting good, and we were off to the races. Next morning he missed his 5th bird (and this is no exaggeration) at 30 yards, right in the sweet spot. Though, he didnt miss him clean. Definitely hurt the innocent bird.

At the time i had a 20ga equiped with a red dot, and i told him to shoot it, but jokingly said "you owe me $10 if you take a shot". He said "ill just stick with my gun then." This spoke volumes to me and told me what he thought of the wild turkey. Its safe to say thats the last time i hunted with him. A clean kill is worth a $10+ shot every time.

Now, i will say, we are humans, and mistakes/misses happen. However, out of respect for the bird, i will 100% shoot TSS every time, if it decreases the odds of human error playing into a potentially wounded bird. I dont shoot to increase my range, but to ensure a clean ethical kill when i nick a twig i didnt see. Ill shoot TSS out of my 12ga every day of the week.

Anybody would be an ignorant liar to say they arent prone to mistakes. I will also note im not against lead either. Im just answering your question as to why TSS out of 12ga. I loathe the idea of seeing another bird get hurt. I think it would make me pass out. I cant stomache seeing another one.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

btomlin

As far as a rail for the holosun, you would be doing yourself a disservice to use anything but a sumtoy mount. 

Canadian

Ksteppe, you bought an awesome gun! My dad bought me my first gun @ 13, and it was a 3", 26" BPS in mossy oak infinity. Since then, ive bought and tried almost every gun on the market, and i always go back to my BPS. Probably out of sentimental attachement more than anything, but regardless its a super good shooter and NEVER left me down. I paired it with a .665 Carlsons non-ported and its insanely consistent out of my gun. Both lead and TSS shoot very good out of it. I find its tight enough to reach, but wide enough for up close. Heres a pic of a 35 yard pattern i took. I know its a little off center, but my next shot was slightly left, so i figure it was me - i had to shoot from my knee thanks to circumstances. Intel is written top left.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk