turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Some immaculate production calls and their value

Started by Canadian, March 27, 2024, 07:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian

Hey guys, note sure what these calls would be worth, but want to make sure before i scratch em. I acquired them and was surprised by their condition... and by that i mean, i dont think anyone has ever even 'tried' to run them... the playing surfaces have not a scratch. Are they worth anything at all? The aluminum primos call actually seems pretty cool... i have a stoned aluminum, and condition it with a scotch pad. How would this aluminum call be conditioned? Its green in color, so does it have some sort of coating.

In the lot, i also acquired a Haydels "MC-91 magnum cutter" suction style reed call, with instructions. Kind of neat but cant seem to find ANY info on it...

Also got a HS strut "barred" owl hooter with instructions. Im assuming this call isnt worth anything, but figured i might aswell ask while im at it. I find the instructions more neat than the call itself lol.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Joneshunter

That Haydel call is pretty neat, they make some pretty good cheap duck calls. I seen some turkey calls from them before, not sure if they were good or not, but that's pretty neat how it is meant to be played like a wingbone but with a reed

Canadian

Quote from: Joneshunter on March 27, 2024, 08:05:16 PM
That Haydel call is pretty neat, they make some pretty good cheap duck calls. I seen some turkey calls from them before, not sure if they were good or not, but that's pretty neat how it is meant to be played like a wingbone but with a reed
Was exactly my thought! Im super glad it still has the instructions too, because id have not a clue how it would work without em...

Yoder409

I'm not very well versed in production friction calls.  But SOME of those green plastic pots were of Mike Battey design and CAN have collector's value.

As always........... First best place to get a feel for a call's value is to do a search of "Sold Items" on eBay.

Maybe someone who knows more about Battey-made pots can or will chime in, here.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Canadian

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 27, 2024, 08:16:03 PM
I'm not very well versed in production friction calls.  But SOME of those green plastic pots were of Mike Battey design and CAN have collector's value.

As always........... First best place to get a feel for a call's value is to do a search of "Sold Items" on eBay.

Maybe someone who knows more about Battey-made pots can or will chime in, here.
I took your advice and just surfed ebays 'sold' section and couldnt find anything... gonna keep trying tho via different search fields.

Canadian

Ok, i just found 2 alumislates that sold for $50. Both in rough shape, and both had an aluminum 'colored' surface, whereas mine is green? Not sure what the difference is? Also neither had the original strikers...

Really wanna try these things out but dont want to scratch em if theyre worth anything to someone untouched.

Anyone know how they play?

Canadian

Ok, i found one with the green surface! Guess it was considered a 'non-glare' playing surface. It came with a 2 piece, wood and synthetic striker, and a synthetic/carbon striker. I have both. It supposedly plays while wet with the carbon striker?

I feel like im talking to myself here bahaha! Still looking for advice from others tho.

Pretty neat looking at all these old calls that i didnt even know existed... also insane how much they are worth now... the battleship heartbreakers are bonkers.

Couldnt find anything on the wicked hen rectangular slate call...

Canadian

Heres better pics

tad1

I'd run that pot like I stole it!
  Had a power crystal, great production call, think I somehow broke it.. 
Also have an older cheap plastic haydel duck call, i thought it sounded pretty good too!
   JT

runngun

They're great calls from Primos. I have each one of them. Aluminum is a great locator, has been for me. I would say $50 one both turkey calls. Don't know how much for the Haydel's or the Owl hooter. I have a box full of the Owl, from one of our youth days.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Canadian

Quote from: runngun on March 27, 2024, 10:11:44 PM
They're great calls from Primos. I have each one of them. Aluminum is a great locator, has been for me. I would say $50 one both turkey calls. Don't know how much for the Haydel's or the Owl hooter. I have a box full of the Owl, from one of our youth days.

Whats the slate run like? I find it super neat because of its shape and size. I couldnt find any info on it at all!

The alumislate non glare surface that i found on ebay sold for $65ish. Im more interested in being fair than making a buck tho. Super appreciate your intel!

I have a dawkins stoned aluminum, id like to compare the two of them... have you ever had a chance to compare em?

Canadian

Quote from: tad1 on March 27, 2024, 10:01:01 PM
I'd run that pot like I stole it!

Hahaha, im suuuuper tempted to. The curiosity is nagging at me.

If im being honest tho, im not sure how much id ever run it. I genuinely probably only run a pot call 2 or 3 times all season, and already have a pot call that i use. Gonna see if its worth *enough* to a collector first. We will have to see which pays more - my curiosity, or someone else haha!

tad1

Currently there's a  primos rectangular slates that is green in the package new old stock the guys asking 50 or best offer.
     Called the model 225.

Canadian

Quote from: tad1 on March 28, 2024, 08:43:31 AM
Currently there's a  primos rectangular slates that is green in the package new old stock the guys asking 50 or best offer.
     Called the model 225.
Found it! Thanks! The alumimite? Im still curious about the one i have, being that its slate. The one i have also came with 2 strikers i believe.

runngun

Both of the Primos, aluminum and the wicked hen slate sound great to me. I might be a little bit biased because I really like Primos and Preston Pittman calls. I am fortunate enough to know both of them. I have several aluminum surfaces from different makers and they are all really close.
The one that you have is a "Mike Battey" style. That's the hole layout on the back. This was when Battey first worked for Primos.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.