News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shooting Jakes ??

Started by Yoder409, March 27, 2024, 06:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Just that.

Under what circumstances do you or would you shoot a jake ??

Never ??

If it's the last day or two and you have an unfilled tag ??

Whenever you see one ??

Something other ??

Just curious.........
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Me ??

I can only think of one occasion, now, where I would shoot a jake. 

My younger son is a special needs individual.  I am TRYING to get him to try turkey hunting.  I won't push.  But, IF at some point he'd go.........and we could double........ I'd shoot regardless of whether they were jakes or longbeards.

Other than that......... never.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Upfold99

If I did it would be a total accident.  If my young son decides he wants to,  I would be ok with it.  We wouldn't make a habit out of it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Just for a memory. If my grandchild wanted to shoot one and I could double with them, I might do it. For myself, I don't need to shoot Jake's. I take a lot of young or new hunters. If they want to take one, I have no issue with it. Z

Tom007

When I started Turkey hunting long ago, I harvested a few Jake's. Birds were plentiful in my early years. Today, I let them pass. Population decreases and pressure in my areas led me to the decision to harvest gobblers only. This is just the way I hunt now, there is no right or wrong here IMO. Jake's can provide a thrilling hunt for those who choose to harvest them.....
"Solo hunter"

WAGinVA

I think the advice given to me by a wise older deer hunter regarding deer also applies to turkeys.  "The first rule for shooting big bucks is don't shoot little bucks.'  Just substitute turkey.

vt35mag

Only when its a case of mistaken identity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

King Cobra

I don't shoot jakes, unfortunately through the years have killed two or three by mistake.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

eggshell

I want a bird to gobble and come to the call, that is my main criteria. When we had a two bird limit I would occasionally shoot a Jake if he met that criteria, but it wasn't something I done the first 10 days of season. It has been years since I shot one. I would always shoot an adult bird with my other tag. The only reason I exclude jakes is because they are the seed for the future, it has nothing to do with a bird's beard, spur, body size or trophy value. However, if I find myself at the end of season and I am having a hard time filling a tag I will shoot a nice big jake in a heartbeat, I intend to have a turkey to eat. We enjoy eating them and the meat has more value then the feathers, spurs and beards in my house. In the end I hunt turkeys for that interaction between me and him, a jake can fulfill that just as easy as a longbeard. I always tell people who hunt with me to shoot whatever they want. Biologically there's no science says passing on jakes makes more turkeys that I know of. All other game bird species we shoot adults and juveniles the same and their populations are not devastated by it, like pheasants. I have a few questions to ask on this as well. Why do we look at a Jake differently and pass on them. There has been a lot of discussion on scoring in that thread. Are we applying trophy standards to not shooting jakes, in other words are we embarrassed over shooting a jake. I admit they are a bit more gullible, but often a lot of fun. If a birds score is not important then why pass Jakes, other then leaving them for the future.

Greg Massey

This year Jakes are next year gobblers. But never say never... IMO

ShortMagFan

First turkey 30 years ago was a Jake. Have killed a few thru the years but any in the last 20 years were a case of mistaken identity (2 I can think of). I'd have to be on the verge of starvation to knowingly shoot a Jake today

arkrem870

Gooserbat

Personally I'm past it.  New hunters I get it, especially with a kid on a limited schedule but if there's a chance to hunt tomorrow let them walk.  Learn from the experience and enjoy your time afield. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dtrkyman

Shot one ever, he gobbled like a man at the end of season, was really thick and only saw his head, he got it, shocked he was a jake.

One other time I was just about to do the same, thick again late season, fortunately he jumped up on a log to get a better look.

I don't care if someone shoots Jake's, they just aren't the same experience most times!

Gobbler-one

Never! I view jakes as most do, as seed for next year. They are also very easily called into a setup and seem to have not fully developed their senses of apprehension and caution. Even if it's the last day of the season and I haven't killed a bird I wouldn't shoot a jake. My desire to fill a tag is not that important compared to the possibility of hearing that same jake blowing it out next season as a two year old. On property that I manage and control, a jake can be taken only if it's someone's first bird. As for others, it's a legal bird and I have no problem with anyone shooting one. It's an individual choice each has to make for themselves. If you're enjoying the hunt and are content to harvest a jake, there's no shame in doing so. It's just not for me or compatible with the goals for the property I manage.