turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When do "you" call agressively?

Started by Marc, March 26, 2024, 02:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Seen a lot of posts about less being more as far as calling....  I have made some of those posts myself.

But there are times, when more is more....  What situations do you like to call loud and agressively?

For me it is one of two conditions...

If I am talking to a hen, I will get down on the call...  You know...  That hen that sounds like a white trash gal, about to throw the hammer down on some other gal comin' after her man...  I wanna' make that hen as mad as possible, so that she brings the consortium of hens and toms with her to me....

Second situation is that tom that sounds off at your call, and is obviously heading towards you at full speed, and is excited at every sound that comes out of the call...  I'll stay on the call pretty hard for that guy...

When do get on and stay on the call agressively???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Prospector

Exactly that: first bird of the year I heard gobble spontaneously. Moved in set down. Second series of calls he answered and I jumped on him. We went back and forth several times with each of us cutting the other off. Then I withdrew and got on the gun. He gobbled once or twice more than went quiet- SOP for MS birds. Within 10 minutes he was at 27yds...
I'm normally reserved believing that most of the time a gobbler is coming whether you hammer or just stroke him so to speak. But when they're hot I'll respond in kind.
As far as calling aggressive to hens- I haven't been real successful at that. Mostly they pack him up and go the other way, lol. I have kinda soft sold hens with yelps. Clucks. Purrs.
Good thread!????????
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Gobbler428

Mostly to a hen in order to get her upset and come looking for me and bring him with her, Usually he will be somewhere behind her.

joey46

Almost never now.  Everything in Florida seems tight mouthed anymore.

fmf

Ihuntoldschool

What is aggressive calling?

Do you mean calling like real hens call?

Happy

I don't really get into this aggressive/soft calling deal. I play the game by feel and don't even consciously think about it. My brain is constantly taking in the feedback from the turkeys, and I just subconsciously react. I didn't even really realize how much I did this until I started teaching my boys how to hunt and started explaining things. I firmly believe indecision is worse than a bad decision when it comes to turkey hunting.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

King Cobra

I agree with your first condition with the hens, I have had many conversations with them talking the same language their talking and they come over to see what's going on with Gobbler in tow. The second condition is different, if he is coming in hard I will usually stop the calling and wait to see how he is reacting. He may just run up your gun barrel. 
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Tom007

When a gobbler drifts away with his hens, I open the flood gates and let 'em have it :fud:
"Solo hunter"

TrackeySauresRex

I only do what the hens do... Plus 1.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Yoder409

I mostly only call aggressively if I'm hunting turkeys.

And I'm awake.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zelmo1

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 26, 2024, 05:49:15 PM
I mostly only call aggressively if I'm hunting turkeys.

And I'm awake.
I'm guilty also. I have learned more patience, but am pretty aggressive. Till it's time to not be, lol. Z

Dtrkyman

At some point every day generally speaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Swamper

Never been my style. My game is "soft and subtle", more of a "cleanup" man I reckon.

silvestris

I have had them run me over and I have never heard another peep and they seem to disappear.  You have to make a call as your decision and get ready for cake or crap.  They are interesting creatures.  They seldom are alarmed by quiet calling,the kind that they do most of the time.   
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game