turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1918 Model 12

Started by Berry93, March 24, 2024, 01:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berry93

I bought a Model 12 from a friend last week. Made in 1918, 30 inch full choke, 2¾ nickel steel. I ran some old winchester super x 1?oz #6 loads through it and I'm not confident in the pattern past 20-25 yards. Any recommendations from you guys that have experience with these old guns? I'd really like to get it to pattern well enough to 30 yards.

I've read conflicting views on running HTL loads through them. Thoughts on this please.

Super Fox

The Winchester Model 12 or Model 1912 on the earlier shotguns are first rate. I have a 1914 M-12 that
is a Deluxe  or special version. It has stock and forend checked, along with solid rib.

I have had good patterns with older 2 3/4 in Magnum Super X and Long Beard shot shells. Mine is a 32 in full choke version
and prefers # 5 shot in lead.

The M-12 is probably the best US pump shotgun ever made. I also have two (2) M-12 Heavy Duck 3 in guns.

These and Parker-LC Smith-and AH Fox guns are usually with me in the outback. One of the Heavy Duck guns with #4 Heavy Shot
got  an old gobbler at about 40 yds last year.

Canadian

I have a 1957 (or 56, cant remember?), and used to have a 56 heavy duck (or 57? I get em mixed up). Like fox said, probably the best shotgun ever made. They dubbed it "the perfect repeater" for a reason... mine is a full choke and patterns super well, but with lead, dont shoot past 30. However, i do load my own TSS for it, and is absolutely 100% lethal to 40. Id never aim to shoot past 30, but i can now be confident that if i misjudge, and it ends up being 35, or even 40 for that matter, itll be 100% ethical.

The TSS loads are low pressure tho, and i got the recipe for that very reason. Its 2 3/4", 1 5/8oz, low pressure (8000psi), and have yet to see ANY sign of damage. It patterns flawlessly, and believe i even posted pics of it somewhere on here? Ive also field tested it and killed a bird right at 30 yards. The non-toxic wads, high quality winchester proof steel, low pressure loads, and full choke (tight full choke, but still not x-full) give me confidence that it isnt going to damage the barrel. Also #9 shot flows easier than say #2 or #3 steel. Some people will say its "risky" but i just use my best judgement and trust it. Plus i refuse to let the gun rot away and collect dust. If i have it, i use it. And if i dont use it, i sell it to someone that will.

The *feel* of using a model 12 is unlike any other. Shoot a turkey with it and youll be hooked. It offers a 'feeling' and experienced that cant be achieved with scopes and modern synthetic semis.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Canadian

My notes in that pic say 1957, so that settles my memory lol. Anyways, data is written bottom left off picture. As you can see, 318 in 10" circle @ 25 yards.

Also im pretty sure foxtrot makes a low pressure 2 3/4" load?

Canadian

Chestercopperpot helped give me advice in the past about my model 12s. He shoots a model 12 20ga.

ChesterCopperpot

I'd buy some 2.75" loads from Fox Trot and be done with it. I've seen no issues of tungsten affecting those old barrels and I've shot a good bit through them. Best friend is a 40yr professional gunsmith who specializes in Model 12s and he said barrel damage from shot is something he's never seen out of any of those guns. He's been shooting steel out of his Model 12 for decades and decades without a hiccup. You'd likely encounter pressure issues before you encountered barrel issues from shot. Some folks loading some lower pressure loads for older guns, but I don't know that it's necessary with the Fox Trot loads. I shoot the Hot Rods out of my 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

Quote from: Berry93 on March 24, 2024, 01:05:34 PM
I bought a Model 12 from a friend last week. Made in 1918, 30 inch full choke, 2¾ nickel steel. I ran some old winchester super x 1?oz #6 loads through it and I'm not confident in the pattern past 20-25 yards. Any recommendations from you guys that have experience with these old guns? I'd really like to get it to pattern well enough to 30 yards.

I've read conflicting views on running HTL loads through them. Thoughts on this please.

I would check if your gun is still full choke, maybe it was cut down at one time from 32"s to 30" and most of your choke is gone  or someone reamed the choke more open. Your pattern sounds more like an imp. cyl. type pattern.
If it is not still full choke some load with the Federal flight control wad might get you a few more yards,

I shoot old guns, have shot TSS and Fed HVWT shot (only small sized pellets, and only low pressure loads I loaded) in some of them, have never had a problem with choke bulge or barrel scouring.
The Foxtrot 2.75" TSS 12 gauge load already mentioned would be a possibility, it's a lower pressure load than his normal load, you might be able find out from him pressure details.
Mike of  Spring creek calls on here if I remember correctly shoots that load out of his old model 12.

In several old sxs's I've worked with on loads for tighter center core patterns, the old style traditional wads actually did noticeably better than modern plastic high quality turkey type wads.
If your loading your own you can drop powder charge a bit and increase the shot charge for a more center core dense pattern.
This is an old method that works good in muzzleloaders with open chokes and should also help your gun whether it's full choke or the choke is opened or gone.

Spring Creek Calls

I shoot Foxtrot Mini Twister TSS  9'S in my 1930's Model 12. My gun has been customized, reduced the barrel from 32" to 26" and had it threaded for choke tubes.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Canadian

Hows POA POI with it since the modification?

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Canadian on March 25, 2024, 09:03:16 AM
Hows POA POI with it since the modification?

It's right on. I had Briley do it.

BrowningGuy88

I have a mid 50's M12 and I have always used Win Supreme 2 3/4" 1.5 ounce 6's in it and it's pretty nasty at 30.

I have very seriously contemplated cutting it and threading it. I would not worry about shooting 1 5/8 ounce TSS at 1100 fps out of it.

Super Fox

Excellent pattern at that range.

I have a few extra Model 12s inherited after my father left us in 2000. He used one 1950s M-12 for 50 years on dove, ducks, geese and turkey. I got him
a Heavy Duck gun like mine and he started to use it on turkeys. The 1914 Model 1912 has accounted for quite a few turkeys over the years.

This is a good site, with much valuable information. It would be good if OG would consider a subheading "Vintage Guns" or Vintage turkey gun section.
I have double guns also: AH Fox, LC Smith, and Parker doubles, and I hunt with them. I don't use or hunt with any
newer shotguns. Two of the Fox guns were made in 1916.  If any viewers agree with this idea, please let your moderators know. Thanks!

Canadian

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on March 25, 2024, 08:28:03 AM
I shoot Foxtrot Mini Twister TSS  9'S in my 1930's Model 12. My gun has been customized, reduced the barrel from 32" to 26" and had it threaded for choke tubes.

I also couldnt help but notice your sling setup for it... Looks good. Mind sharing with the rest of the class how you did it? Lol!

Looks like you have an aftermarked sling stud mount installed between the magazine cap and foremost position of the pump handle? Looks good.

Hill

I have patterned some high quality trap/target loads - 1-1/8oz of hard 7.5 shot @ 1250 or 1300 out of my full choked Model 12. I have no doubt that anything inside of 30 yds would be coming home with me.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Canadian on March 25, 2024, 10:55:46 AM
Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on March 25, 2024, 08:28:03 AM

I also couldnt help but notice your sling setup for it... Looks good. Mind sharing with the rest of the class how you did it? Lol!

Looks like you have an aftermarked sling stud mount installed between the magazine cap and foremost position of the pump handle? Looks good.

It's a GrovTec barrel band for the mag tube. I'm pretty sure the one below is correct but measure your tube. Put a sling stud in the stock.

SHOTGUN 12GA. MAG TUBE TWO PIECE BARREL BAND LOCKING SWIVEL SET - GTSW202