turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Some Toms wear Kevlar

Started by Duckdogdad, March 23, 2024, 09:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

I have experienced the same thing.  So you're not alone!
No kidding there I was.
I had made a move on the inside of the pasture. Some small pines. The bird was in the hardwoods. Of course there was a fence. For whatever reason he didn't come into the field.  I could see him behind the trees. He strutted up behind a big split tree. Came out of  strut. I put my scope on his head. Which was in-between the trees.  I really didn't give it a second thought.  He was in range.  I squeezed the trigger.  Boom.
All of a sudden I saw a Gobbler fly off. I laughed to myself.  Thinking it had to be a second bird.
Once I got to the tree. I looked behind it where the bird had once stood. NOTHING! I looked at the front of the tree. Perfect pattern. 
The only explanation I can think off. He moved his head during my trigger squeeze.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

High plains drifter

I've missed once in 30 years.Had my pheasant choke in.Stupid mistake.

g8rvet

I have missed a bird that to this day I have no idea how.  Rolled him at about 35 yards.  Got up to get him and off he scoots.  Same gun and load that year killed one at 47 yards (mismarked my bush to shoot him at on a field) and still stoned him.

All I can say is I have had ducks on the water in easy killing range and shot them to finish them off and had the pattern explode all around them and they keep swimming.  Over the head most likely if a true miss or a small nothing twig in the way that deflected enough to spare him. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Joneshunter

Better look at your pattern. Last year I missed a bird I was pissed off but I went home and shot it to see the pattern and that gun shot like straight ???? turkey choke or not it shot terrible. I bought a new gun and needless to say pattern whole lot better so pattern yo gun

surehuntsalot

you missed, it happens, if you hunt long enough it will happen
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

lalongbeard75

There's a lot of difference between a total miss and hit him and he still flew off. If you don't break a wing or leg they can take quite a bit of lead or TSS and still leave the scene. The first gobbler I killed this year had pellets between the breast meat and feathers. He had been "missed" before.
I shoot lead #5s so it was obvious they were not from my shot.

I wonder how many of these "misses" with long range shots are feeding gobblers to vermin when they get away and die of their wounds later or are too weak to fly up to roost that night and end up in a raccoon or bobcat.

Greg Massey

Missing can also have a lot to do with how you have your gun setup with sights / optic / red dot and keeping your head down on the gun.. Especially if your gun has a youth model stock...  So again it all depends on your setup in my opinion.