turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester 120 vs Remington 1100

Started by Dazzler, March 22, 2024, 03:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazzler

I've got two 12 gauges. Want to turn one into a turkey gun by having RSA thread the barrel for choke system. I have a smooth slug barrel for each. Each has rifle sights.

Remington is chambered for 2 3/4", currently has synthetic pistol grips and barrel is 22".

Winchester is chambered for 3", original wood stock and barrel is 24".

I'm leaning towards the Remington. I have the original wood for it, so I won't feel that bad about modifying the furniture. Plan is to start hand loading TSS, so I don't feel a 3" shell is needed. Anyone see a reason to not go this route?  Only other difference other than chambering is semi vs pump action.

runngun

There is a pile of logic in your post. I would not feel handicapped with 2 3/4 TSS.  I like both guns but I would have to go with the Remington 1100. Gather all of your stuff to load TSS. It is a blast!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

BandedSpur

Go with whichever you like. I am partial to 1100s. I have a couple and recently helped a buddy set up a 2.75" chambered 20 gauge. Shell length is no issue. I load 2.75" 1&5/8 oz loads for my buddy's 20 ga 1100, and I load 2.75" 1&5/8 oz loads in my 2.75" chambered 12 gauge Beretta 686UL. That is all the payload you will ever need.

bbcoach

I'm an 1100 guy as well.  First semi I every owned.  It shoulders well and killed a ton of doves and my first turkey with it (handloaded 1 1/2 oz of lead #5's) at 30 yards.  I now shoot an 835 with 3 1/2 inch Hevi #7's.  If I ever go to TSS, I would be hard pressed not to put a few 2 3/4 #9 TSS down range through her.

Dazzler

Quote from: bbcoach on March 23, 2024, 10:43:44 AM
I'm an 1100 guy as well.  First semi I every owned.  It shoulders well and killed a ton of doves and my first turkey with it (handloaded 1 1/2 oz of lead #5's) at 30 yards.  I now shoot an 835 with 3 1/2 inch Hevi #7's.  If I ever go to TSS, I would be hard pressed not to put a few 2 3/4 #9 TSS down range through her.
The 1100 was just given to me by my Dad. It was his dove gun forever, and he is done with 12 gauges at this point.

The 120 was my first big boy gun my Dad bought for me. I remember going to Walmart with him to get it. This was back before super-centers when they still sold guns.

bbcoach

Quote from: Dazzler on March 23, 2024, 12:01:54 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on March 23, 2024, 10:43:44 AM
The 1100 was just given to me by my Dad. It was his dove gun forever, and he is done with 12 gauges at this point.

The 120 was my first big boy gun my Dad bought for me. I remember going to Walmart with him to get it. This was back before super-centers when they still sold guns.
All the more reason to go with the 1100.  A keepsake from your Dad.  I've got a buddy that inherited a wood stocked 835 from his Dad.  He had it camoed and has been killing turkeys with it for about 5 years now.  My 1100 came from a TG&Y that was clearing out their guns.  I paid $185 for it and it has PLENTY of memories.  Add a .665 quality choke at the end and some 2 3/4 #9 TSS in the pipe and you'll have a Great Turkey getter.