OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 ga 2 3/4” loads- Federal vs Apex???

Started by Mike13, March 22, 2024, 08:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhunter

Take a look at fox trot. 1 3/8 oz #9. Patter real good through a .575 at 40 yards.
Joshua 24:15

Lcmacd 58

I would have to say Apex
And I've killed several turkeys with federals

Ihuntoldschool

Way too much recoil especially for 7 yr old. 

410 or 28 gauge. 

yelpy

Quote from: twyatt on April 02, 2024, 06:39:04 AMI just finished patterning my 870 20ga this past weekend with a Carlson's .575 and Sattie's 2 3/4" "reduced recoil" 9.5's.    My daughter is 10 and been shooting the Stevens 410 for the past 2 years, and I was hoping she could jump up into the 20ga with low-recoil shells.  After this weekend of patterning, there's no way I'm letting her shoot a 20ga anytime soon.   The recoil is still STOUT, and I hardly noticed any "reduction" of recoil at all.   I'm keeping her in the 410 for the foreseeable future.
  My advice, get a $200 Stevens 410, chop a little bit off the stock so it's comfortable for them, and get a box of Apex Ninja's, Salt Creek 10's,  Sattie's 10s, etc, and let them shoot that for a couple years until they are comfortable and bigger.   Even with a 410, or 20ga, kids are so small-framed that they often don't get the greatest shoulder placement due to the size of the gun, so the recoil hurts even more than it would you or I.   

I agree. Some kids can handle recoil some cant. Even a 1 1/4 oz load in the 20 can be too much for a youngster.