OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help Me Pick a Choke for a 3.5" Winchester SXP

Started by robertreed711, March 21, 2024, 12:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertreed711

I know, I know, every gun is different but hoping you guys can point me in a direction. I recently picked up a Winchester SXP and want to set it up for this spring.  I will likely be shooting #5 or #6 long beard XR's and am consider and Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike .665 and a Carlson's Long beard XR also in .665. I've had good luck with the Carlson in my 20 gauge sx3 but have always heard good things about Indian Creek so thought I might give them a try.

So what's everyone think, is there a standout winner here? Any experience with either combo?

Tom007

William at Sumtoy on the forum can set you up. He has experience with all the chokes and knows what choke gives you the best performance for your selected firearm and shell that you want to use.....
"Solo hunter"

robertreed711

Slight correction. Got 2 boxes of longbeard XR #4s today so will likely be using those.

captpete

3" or 3 1/2"?  My experience with an 870SPM is the 3" shoot/pattern better no matter what shell/shot/choke combination. I also had better patterns with a .670 over .655, .660 and .665 when shooting 4's. It's not the tightest pattern, but it was very even and would definitely kill at 40yds.

Bottomland OG

I've personally never had any dealings with the newer Winchester guns but I have 2 different friends that both have SX3's. One shoots a jebs .660 and the other shoots a RR .660. They both say that there setup shoot Lbxr #4's really good.

bbcoach

I just checked the Sumtoy website and with the Winchester lead, William is suggesting a .675 or .680 choke.  Give him a call, as suggested, and he'll give you some good info. 

SumToy

All in the shell and place you hunt.   The hot set up lead is 660 to 665.   TSS 665 to 670.   Short range stuff 675 to 685
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA