OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

MOSSBERG SILVER RESERVE TURKEY

Started by BIGGUS, March 20, 2024, 10:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGGUS

I just saw these and was pretty excited and prepared to order one, but... Did they really make these with no provision for mounting an optic???  ???

Dazzler

there's vent rib if memory serves

TScottW99

Just the rib for mounting a Warne or Meadowcreek. I played with one at Nashville, they had a reflex sight mounted on the rib with a Warne rib mount.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

mauser06

I too was surprised by that. 

I really want a 20ga over and under and thought that was the one.  A little hesitant due to that....not crazy about rib mounts.

And my biggest concern....I wanna see some real life pattern testing. An over/under looses it's appeal if the barrels aren't regulated to the shoot the same POI. 

tomteaser16

My barrels don't shoot same POI/POA

mauser06

Dang.  How bad are they??  I'd love to see pics if you can.  I was awful afraid of that.  Every weekend since they've been released I've fought the urge to go grab one.

I really love the idea. I'd love to run an open choke and a hot choke.  But they gotta shoot straight.

tomteaser16

I'm in a holding pattern for now. May just shoot my 500 .410 or my 11-87 compact that's already set up. I was hoping to run LB XR 6's in this gun. I had an Indian creek .555 I shot through top barrel and left factory in bottom barrel. It was all over the map. I am going to get some more 6s and some more paper and shoot just factory chokes in both. I wanted to avoid using a meadow creek mount as I don't like my red dot down the barrel but I may have to just to find middle ground of both barrels POI

mauser06

Thanx!   Keep me updated.  Mossberg was doing so well keeping up with turkey gun setups. Releasing this with no optic mount and barrels that aren't regulated doesn't make sense.

I'll just run my Encore 20 gauge and my flintlock and keep hoping someone builds the (IMO) ultimate turkey gun.  I'd honestly like to see the barrels longer on the mossberg. On an o/u frame even 26s wouldn't be too long. 24 would probably be ideal. My Encore has a 26 and it's not overly long.  I just really like the idea of a 2nd open choked barrel.

old3toe

Tomteaser it's possible it's the shells. Moving all over the place wouldn't necessarily be from the barrels being miss regulated. Remember when you have stacked barrels they can only be set dead on for one distance. Leading up too and past that distance will always show a slight difference in elevation between the top and bottom barrels. Most seem to be set to overlap or cross nicely around 35-40 yds. I've had trouble with the longbeard shells in a 12 ga and many others have as well. Poi was moving around wildly from place to place. I no longer shoot any longbeard loads. Some shots weren't opening or "breaking" up all the way as well. The tighter the choke the worse poi wondered around.

coonhunter

I hope the quality of the turkey edition is better than the original silver reserve. I have one. The quality is terrible. Mine poa/poi is way off from barrel to barrel. I've also had issues with the gun hang/mis firing.
Joshua 24:15

Ridge Rooster

I bought a 20ga ATI Turkey Fowl, which I have been told is built by the same Turkish Manufacturer? Either way it has a really nice way to mount a Sumtoy mount as the rib is drilled/tapped. I was really happy with barrel regulation as I shoot the top barrel with an Indian Creek .562 and bottom with an improved cylinder Carlson choke. Barrel regulation was perfect as I set the open barrel up for 30 yards and in. I killed one with it opening weekend and really like the gun so I bought a 12ga same model. First the newer Indian Creek tubes would not thread in the barrel although any other Mobile threaded choke did fine? I did have an older Indian Creek .655, don't even think they offer this constriction anymore, that would thread in. Unsure what is different with the older choke threads? Anyhow the barrel regulation was not great. Sighting top barrel with Indian Creek, the bottom barrel is 6" low with anything choke wise I have tried. Also tried many different shells. Had an old Carlson 680 extended choke and started filing on it the other day to see if I can change the POI. It seems to be working as I have started the process and it appears that I have moved it a couple inches. Still trying and will file a little more this weekend to see if I can move it more.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters