OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another Osceola

Started by CAPTJJ, March 19, 2024, 09:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stick

Well done, sir.  It was tough down there for sure!  Thanks for sharing.

Cowboy

Great hunt! Congrats to you on the gobbler.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: CAPTJJ on March 19, 2024, 09:41:29 AM
Finally able to do a hunt recap from way back on the March 6th.

Woke up with limited cell service that morning, was able to get the weather to load and saw a chance of thunderstorms, starting at 8am. Was planning on hunting the middle hide, then moving out to the far spot where I killed last time on this WMA in 2022. But with the storms I went to the hide I had made in the oaks, a beautiful clearing and not many like it around. There is a reason I set up a spot there and really should have been my first choice. The storms held off, kept moving them on the forecast. They were really bad that afternoon including a tornado warning.

Wasn't in any hurry with a fairly short hike of .4 mile, got set up and had my coffee, later a snack bar. No gobbles heard, not even in the distance. Luckily, I don't depend on them like most hunters. Kept calling after it got light: clucks, purrs, whines and a few yelps.

Then at 9:30 right after a 3 note yelp a hen answered with the same and I followed right away with another; she was in some oaks behind to my right. Kept calling, tried a cutt/yelp, just wanted to sound like turkeys were there. Then at 10:30 the hen finally stepped out but went around behind the decoys. I decided to try and get a picture, had the video all set up on the tripod... don't know why I didn't start recording. Anyway, got lucky she didn't spook, have seen this with these Osceola hens before, can get away with some movement.

A couple minutes later I heard footsteps to my right, it was loud as the tom was walking over some dry palm fronds, very noisy. I quickly grabbed the bow and got ready. he came into view close to my hide, had circled toward me then looped right toward the decoys while strutting. His fan was up blocking his eyes as he came into my opening and I was able to raise the bow. I began to draw as he turned broadside, got to full draw, concentrated on the spot and released. The shot looked good and he ran off and went down in about 30 yards.

The turkeys came from here, glad for the crunchy palm fronds...

Osceola #4 with traditional gear: 16.5lbs, 9 7/8" beard, 1" spurs

Bow is a double carbon Omega Native, custom made by a young bowyer I met online:

Congrats on the bird!. Kegan makes a nice bow!. I have one from himself. This will be my first year trying for a longbow bird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PharmHunter

Congrats!  Very cool bow.

boomer

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Moore

[

backforty

Print by Madison, on Flickr

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase