OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another Osceola

Started by CAPTJJ, March 19, 2024, 09:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAPTJJ

Finally able to do a hunt recap from way back on the March 6th.

Woke up with limited cell service that morning, was able to get the weather to load and saw a chance of thunderstorms, starting at 8am. Was planning on hunting the middle hide, then moving out to the far spot where I killed last time on this WMA in 2022. But with the storms I went to the hide I had made in the oaks, a beautiful clearing and not many like it around. There is a reason I set up a spot there and really should have been my first choice. The storms held off, kept moving them on the forecast. They were really bad that afternoon including a tornado warning.

Wasn't in any hurry with a fairly short hike of .4 mile, got set up and had my coffee, later a snack bar. No gobbles heard, not even in the distance. Luckily, I don't depend on them like most hunters. Kept calling after it got light: clucks, purrs, whines and a few yelps.

Then at 9:30 right after a 3 note yelp a hen answered with the same and I followed right away with another; she was in some oaks behind to my right. Kept calling, tried a cutt/yelp, just wanted to sound like turkeys were there. Then at 10:30 the hen finally stepped out but went around behind the decoys. I decided to try and get a picture, had the video all set up on the tripod... don't know why I didn't start recording. Anyway, got lucky she didn't spook, have seen this with these Osceola hens before, can get away with some movement.

A couple minutes later I heard footsteps to my right, it was loud as the tom was walking over some dry palm fronds, very noisy. I quickly grabbed the bow and got ready. he came into view close to my hide, had circled toward me then looped right toward the decoys while strutting. His fan was up blocking his eyes as he came into my opening and I was able to raise the bow. I began to draw as he turned broadside, got to full draw, concentrated on the spot and released. The shot looked good and he ran off and went down in about 30 yards.

The turkeys came from here, glad for the crunchy palm fronds...

Osceola #4 with traditional gear: 16.5lbs, 9 7/8" beard, 1" spurs

Bow is a double carbon Omega Native, custom made by a young bowyer I met online:

OJR

That's awesome! Congratulations!!

10th Legionaire

Excellent work!

It pays to bide your time
Less is more

blake_08

That's awesome, quite an accomplishment. Congratulations

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Congrats... making great memories ...

Prohunter3509

Congratulations now that's hunting
I hoping next year I can take one next year with traditional

joey46

Was waiting for pictures.  Congrats!!!  Was a pleasure to meet you and hope we are able to do it again next year.  BTW - the Peace may be down a little more.

JeffC

Congrats Capt on getting it done with stick & string.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

zelmo1

Congrats on an awesome hunt bro. Z

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RutnNStrutn

Fantastic!! Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Canadian

Awesome pics JJ! Was awesome meeting you this spring. Some amazing wisdom in that summary of yours. Hopefully i can learn from my own experience, midday opening morning, and your experience from this hunt, and be ready next time one slips in without any gobbles like that.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

King Cobra

Quite an accomplishment! Congratulations!
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

joey46

Think about reposting your famous panther in the decoys picture from a few years back.  Many still have a hard time thinking of their reaction if one slipped in on them.