turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When all else fails go to the crows

Started by King Cobra, March 19, 2024, 07:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Great info Ken. I will look for that now........
"Solo hunter"

Wvgobbler

Killed a many gobblers because of crows. My 12 old daughter actually killed her first gobbler last year because of crows.... We hadn't heard a gobble all morning and about 10 in the morning crows started going off so we went around the side of the hill where they was and I hit the call and he gobbled and came right in!!!!

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 21, 2024, 09:08:55 PM
You gotta pay attention to what the crows are doing. If it's a general overall ruckus that sounds like a fight than they probably chasing an owl around or hawks as stated earlier. If  they're changing their pitch and cadence they're trying to pull a gobble.

I should have said generally with statement.

If it's really slow I'll chase the mob. But I've been paying more attention when I hear a crow or murder switching between the standard cadence  and pitch to a faster cadence and drop to that gravely growl  caw that they do. If you listen to them when a gobbler is gobbling sporadically they'll come and go. One will show up hit with different sequences if the turkey gobbles sometimes more will show. If they don't succeed they leave and come back later after he gobbles again or just to check on him

3 years ago I just set up in time to watch a murder of crows chase an owl into a thick group of trees on the edge of a meadow. They were giving that owl the business

When the dust settled and the owl and crows moved on, I got back to the business at hand. I had set up there because I heard a few gobbles from the area when I was up the on the ridge line above.

I threw out some calls and settled in. Low and behold I see a turkey slink from out of the thick group of trees at about 150 yds. It was veering to my left and when it disappeared below a rise at about 120 I never seen it again.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Cowboy

The crow is a very good indicator. I've located a turkey or even deer moving several times while deer hunting. I pay close attention when crows are active. 

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

King Cobra

Thank you all for the great insight on your experiences over the years. Turkey hunting is a constant learning experience for me. Good luck to you all
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

appalachianassassin

I find corn piles using the same tactic. So far I've had 7 poachers busted for illegal baiting between deer and Turkey season. Yes there are usually turkeys there

1iagobblergetter

Paulmyr

Just this morning I had a couple crows tell me to be ready because the subordinate gobbling longbeard I just set up on and called too would come in silent.

How did they tell me he was a subordinate and would come in silent? The nearby crows weren't messing with him they were down to my right 150yds from the gobbling turkey messing with the alpha who wasn't gobbling because he had the hens. Now I don't think for one second those crow were picking the alpha because his status. I'm sure it was a matter of there were more turkeys over there than with the one subordinate satellite lurking in the shadows.

How could I tell they were messing with the alpha? Because they were doing the pitch, cadence and tone changes I spoke of earlier trying to pull a gobble and he was most likely too intent on performing for the ladies to notice

When I realized the situation I stopped calling and waited for him to show. I knew there would be no more gobbling, I just needed to be patient and ready.

After about 10 mins there he was standing there  looking to sneak some action while the big guy was tending to his harem. He didn't gobble because he didn't want the big guy to know what was going down.

All I had to do was pick the right place as where he was going to show himself.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

King Cobra

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 26, 2024, 03:08:56 AM
Just this morning I had a couple crows tell me to be ready because the subordinate gobbling longbeard I just set up on and called too would come in silent.

How did they tell me he was a subordinate and would come in silent? The nearby crows weren't messing with him they were down to my right 150yds from the gobbling turkey messing with the alpha who wasn't gobbling because he had the hens. Now I don't think for one second those crow were picking the alpha because his status. I'm sure it was a matter of there were more turkeys over there than with the one subordinate satellite lurking in the shadows.

How could I tell they were messing with the alpha? Because they were doing the pitch, cadence and tone changes I spoke of earlier trying to pull a gobble and he was most likely too intent on performing for the ladies to notice

When I realized the situation I stopped calling and waited for him to show. I knew there would be no more gobbling, I just needed to be patient and ready.

After about 10 mins there he was standing there  looking to sneak some action while the big guy was tending to his harem. He didn't gobble because he didn't want the big guy to know what was going down.

Wow, that was some pretty in-depth observation of what was going on in that situation. Thanks for sharing
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: King Cobra on March 22, 2024, 07:53:40 AM
Thank you all for the great insight on your experiences over the years. Turkey hunting is a constant learning experience for me. Good luck to you all

X-2

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 26, 2024, 03:08:56 AM

You brought back a great memory.
Many moons ago. This same has happened once to me.

Dead silent, cool early spring morning, except for the crows. I was sitting quietly and listing as they were a good way off. I was oblivious to what was happening until it happened. I wasn't doing much calling and there were no turkey responses. I decided to nod off, enjoying the sounds of spring and sunshine on my face. Then it happened. A LOUD KaWwwwwww right on top of me scared the Bjesus outta me snapping me out of it.. lol. the second I opened my eyes... GrrrrrObblObble!

My heart rate went from 0 to 120 in 10 real quick! The gun was up, one soft yelp. The bird was on the end of my barrel in seconds. The #4's waffled him.

Almost like your story,.. These birds heard me the whole time and didn't answer me, or the crows. One subordinate broke off and came in silent. One Ol' crow decided to follow him and continue to harass him and he finally sounded (at the wrong time). Later I found out the birds were roosted on the lower ridge above a field. It was a day when you say there lip locked... and changed real fast. It turned into a great hunt.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Joneshunter

You right buddy I had a crow fly in the other day during a slow afternoon of hunting and right when the crow landed on a tree in front of me a hen came walking through right after. Ole crows some turkey stalkers no doubt

Tail Feathers

Lots of crows at home so no gobbles there to crow calling.  I hunted the GA opener this morning a crow made one gobble for me about 11:30.  He was down around 11:50. 
I don't carry a crow call but may break it out for my home opener. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

briton

Has anyone ever seen a crow or murder roost? I've worked in the woods half my life and also hunted the majority of my life and have never seen a crow roost or spooked them off the roost in the evening/mornings. It's like they just appear out of nowhere at daylight.

jmart241

Seen them fly out of pines very early in the morning in my area

NCSWAMPFOX

up my way, lot of times crows follow nesting hens around in hopes of locating eggs.