OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Removing a slate surface

Started by Jamoose, May 17, 2024, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamoose

Hey all, I have an old slate with a wood pot that's a good friend. A few years back the slate popped out and glued it back (forget what I used). Since then it became a lot more high pitched and touchy. Seems like it lost some vibration. I'd like to get the slate out without breaking it, clean it up and replace with better glue (I understand that goop is the stuff). Any ideas how to get the slate out? Heat the surface to breakdown the glue? Pour solvents in from the bottom? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

austinc

I've used a heat gun to remove them. Set the heat gun on a table pointed up and hold the pot over it upside heating, but don't get it to hot. Then use a razorblade to clean old glue off the pot and the piece of slate. Goop works good, but I prefer e6000 on my calls.

Jamoose

Awesome. Thank you. Any pro/cons between the two glues? Many thanks again.

ScottTaulbee

I also use e6000 when making calls. It's just what I prefer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austinc

Quote from: Jamoose on May 18, 2024, 10:01:12 AMAwesome. Thank you. Any pro/cons between the two glues? Many thanks again.
I've not noticed much difference between the glues, it's just much easier for me to get e6000 so that's what I use. Walmart and dollar generals have it, and only way I've been able to get goop is by ordering it and having it shipped to me.