OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Duplex loads

Started by vt35mag, March 14, 2024, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

What are the real or perceived benefits to duplex loads?
Any difference/advantage in using them in lead vs tss loads?

I know many think the are a gimmic (maybe they are).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

briton

Tss- Pellet count, pattern density, tighter core. I don't know about led duplex patterns

BandedSpur

In general, the only real advantage to duplexing TSS loads is the potential for putting a higher percentage of the total pellets in the payload into a pattern of any given diameter and then only if the shot is stacked with the larger pellets on top. A mixed payload will put a smaller percentage of the total payload in a pattern of any given diameter.

The duplex load will likely put fewer total pellets in the pattern than a straight load of the smaller size just because their are less pellets in the load. The percentage may be higher but the total number will likely be smaller.

Never shoot a duplex where the smaller pellet limits your range. For example, some companies sell duplexes of 8x10 pellets. If it is a 50/50 mix, there will be more pellets than a straight load of 9s of the same weight, but the 10s will limit the distance that the shell is effective compared to a load of 9s due to insufficient penetration ability of the 10s. Do not buy into the argument that the 10s will fill out the pattern at close range and the 8s will do the killing at distances beyond the killing ability of the 10s. There won't be enough 8s in the pattern to be effective once the 10s run out of juice, even though each individual number 8 pellet has the juice to kill at much greater distances than the 10s.

Duplex loads are mostly a marketing gimmick, and at 40 yards it is purely academic. Doesn't matter if you shoot 7.5s, 8s, 8.5s, 9s, 9.5s, or 10s or any combination thereof (with the possible exception of the .410 which can benefit from using smaller shot due to limited payload). Properly choked, any of the above will kill turkeys at 40 yards all day long. Shot size really only becomes important beyond that distance. And as always, you must pattern what you shoot through your gun and choke. Your max range will always be the distance where you are putting enough pellets of adequate penetrating ability into a pattern that will kill a turkey every time you center him in that pattern (100 pellets in a 10" circle is  the generally accepted standard).

All of the above applies to lead, or any other shot type, for that matter.

Fullfan

I load a 8x9 for my 20 ga. It will produce a tighter pattern at 40.
Don't gobble at me...

Ihuntoldschool

Bigger pellets hold the core together little farther.

Smaller pellets fill your pattern out and give little more forgiveness on close shot. 

You mentioned lead.  The old school Remington 4x6 Duplex loads used to shoot real well. 

runngun

Windy Hills makes a duplex load. I have never seen a pattern as tight. Don't know how they're doing it but they certainly are smoking.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

vt35mag

Good information thanks guys.
I started reloading my own 410s this year, and started out with straight 10 tss, and have noticed the pellet count is about the same as the Nitro 9x10 loads I was shooting. I have a few more chokes to try the straight 10s with, but I may tinker with some 9x10 loads.
Not necessarily chasing numbers here, just having fun fine tuning and figuring out which load and choke combo is best in my gun(s).
Can't wait to shoot my first longbeard with a shell I loaded. I was pumped when I shot my first buck with a round I loaded. Adds another level of satisfaction to a successful hunt.

runngun

vt357mag, I can't wait until you are successful with one of your shells. Ain't much like it!!! That is what makes it fun!!! Let us know how it goes, looking forward to it!!! Have a good one and May God bless!!!

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Rockhound

Quote from: Fullfan on March 15, 2024, 08:02:47 AM
I load a 8x9 for my 20 ga. It will produce a tighter pattern at 40.

How does it do compared to straight 8.5s?

vt35mag

Quote from: runngun on March 16, 2024, 10:09:08 PM
vt357mag, I can't wait until you are successful with one of your shells. Ain't much like it!!! That is what makes it fun!!! Let us know how it goes, looking forward to it!!! Have a good one and May God bless!!!

Thanks, right back at you. I will be sure to report back.

vt35mag

What percentage/ratio large to small shot do people shoot for when duplexing tss loads?

chipper

I started out 10 years ago with 8's and with in the next year or so went to 9's, I've kept a pound or two of 8's around since then because my son in law likes a 2 oz load of 8x9's stacked but as soon as those 8's are gone I will load only 9's, they will kill a turkey a lot farther than anybody should be shooting.

mauser06

I just don't see the reason for it with TSS.  The research is done.  A 40yd pattern doing 300+ at 40yds has 100+ a touch over 70yds...a touch over 70yds is where #9 TSS energy starts becoming insufficient to cleanly kill turkey...

Just don't see a reason to mess with it.  The penetration of 9s is unbelievable.  Maybe I'm missing the reasoning.   My pattern is also as tight as I'd ever want.  Probably too tight. So, don't need to fix that either.

ChesterCopperpot

I don't know that I'd say they're a gimmick, but I know I've never had a duplex load pattern as well as a similarly loaded straight load and I've tried a whole heck of a lot of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briton

Quote from: vt35mag on March 17, 2024, 03:49:39 PM
What percentage/ratio large to small shot do people shoot for when duplexing tss loads?

I believe most are around 60% larger shot and 40% smaller shot or 50/50. For example 60% #9's and 40% 10's