turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rossi SS Poly Tuffy 20 gauge reviews?

Started by Bustabeak, March 11, 2024, 11:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

Does anyone have any pros or cons to this gun? I held one at a local store today. My concern would be the poly receiver. And how it would hold up. I'm sure it'll pack a little more punch than most because it was very light. But it did feel good to hold. I thought I'd check here before I purchased to see who had any input. Thanks!!

krm944

On YouTube, Blue Collar Outdoors has done extensive testing and patterning.

Are you going to run 1 5/8 TSS loads? If you are looking for heavy (heaviest) payloads, this is not the gun. The ergonomics of the pistol grip do not work well with recoil- you get a "bite" if you will.

Running 1 1/4 and lighter TSS loads is where this gun shines. A few of the niche TSS loaders have a load tailored specifically for youths and this gun- they have balanced a payload with reduced recoil. This gun has the removable spacer in the stock making it "more excellent" than the 410!

The 28 gauge would be the most excellent in this gun with a touch over 1 ounce of TSS. The 410 is commonly loaded at 3/4 to 7/8 ounce payloads. Yes 1 ounce does exist, many are skeptical of that payload (pressure/wad capacity/velocity)

This gun isn't a universal do all gun that we are accustomed to. This gun does specific things extremely well - extremely lightweight, adjustable LOP, "standard" payload and below, extremely affordable, drilled and tapped receiver.

Hope this helps.

Dtrkyman

I was about to pull the trigger on one last year and saw the recoil issues, and am concerned about the polymer receiver/frame.

I may still try one, I hunt the mountains a lot and it would be amazing, I figured an aftermarket recoil pad and add a little weight to the stock would tame the recoil anyway.

I also have a 1 1/4 oz 20ga recipe so I try that as well.

Bustabeak

Quote from: krm944 on March 13, 2024, 09:06:46 AM
On YouTube, Blue Collar Outdoors has done extensive testing and patterning.

Are you going to run 1 5/8 TSS loads? If you are looking for heavy (heaviest) payloads, this is not the gun. The ergonomics of the pistol grip do not work well with recoil- you get a "bite" if you will.

Running 1 1/4 and lighter TSS loads is where this gun shines. A few of the niche TSS loaders have a load tailored specifically for youths and this gun- they have balanced a payload with reduced recoil. This gun has the removable spacer in the stock making it "more excellent" than the 410!

The 28 gauge would be the most excellent in this gun with a touch over 1 ounce of TSS. The 410 is commonly loaded at 3/4 to 7/8 ounce payloads. Yes 1 ounce does exist, many are skeptical of that payload (pressure/wad capacity/velocity)

This gun isn't a universal do all gun that we are accustomed to. This gun does specific things extremely well - extremely lightweight, adjustable LOP, "standard" payload and below, extremely affordable, drilled and tapped receiver.

Hope this helps.
Great info!!! Thank you!!

krm944

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 13, 2024, 06:26:34 PM
I was about to pull the trigger on one last year and saw the recoil issues, and am concerned about the polymer receiver/frame.

I may still try one, I hunt the mountains a lot and it would be amazing, I figured an aftermarket recoil pad and add a little weight to the stock would tame the recoil anyway.

The polymer receiver seems to hold up fine. There are always people who are pushing the limits- 2 ounce and 2 1/4 ounce payloads in the 20 gauge - they are the outliers. Staying near "factory" 20 gauge payloads, you'll be fine.

I just picked up the ATI Nomad 28 gauge single shot, 23" bbl and I like it so far. It's got a very stiff trigger and hammer but it's lightweight & compact. They are now sold out everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bustabeak

Same here. I was so close. Then realized the receiver was poly and I sat it back down. I love the pistol grip feeling without it being a true pistol grip. To me, a true pistol grip gets in the way.

Bustabeak

Quote from: krm944 on March 13, 2024, 06:34:02 PM

The polymer receiver seems to hold up fine. There are always people who are pushing the limits- 2 ounce and 2 1/4 ounce payloads in the 20 gauge - they are the outliers. Staying near "factory" 20 gauge payloads, you'll be fine.

I just picked up the ATI Nomad 28 gauge single shot, 23" bbl and I like it so far. It's got a very stiff trigger and hammer but it's lightweight & compact. They are now sold out everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd love to find a 28! I just looked over the web and couldn't find one. Where did you pick it up? I've got all the components for a 28 load. Just no gun!

Dtrkyman

They don't male a 28, just wishful thinking.  Would hit the sweet spot.

The polymer is likely a non issue but just seems weird, though I don't mind a glock.

krm944

Bustabeak

Ended up going with the Stevens 301 20 gauge. Gonna keep my eye out for a single shot 28 though!