OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Clean vs dirty benellis

Started by RiverRoost, March 11, 2024, 11:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I know all guns act differently, but never owned a benelli before and curious if people typically see them like clean or dirty barrels?

runngun

I know folks say that it doesn't matter clean vs dirty, but I have NEVER seen that. I have always gotten better patterns with a squeaky clean barrel. After cleaning it with Carburetor cleaner, a brush, I wipe out with paper towels and then soak a paper towel with denatured alcohol and shove through the barrel. I also clean my chokes in a ultra Sonic cleaner. Over the last 40 plus years I have shot and cleaned a LOT of shotguns.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tom007

Even when the barrels are chrome lined, as with the Benelli and many others, I clean every Turkey gun after every shot. That being said, when I hunt, the barrel is clean. I set my optics up with a clean barrel every shot. They all seem to pattern better when the barrel is clean. Has worked great for me....
"Solo hunter"

Ranman

I'm going to say clean, because that's all I have tested. Have been happy with the results from a clean barrel, so never felt the need try try otherwise.

Greg Massey

I have shot them both clean and dirty and i really can't tell that much difference with TSS and today's shotguns / back boring / lengthen the forcing cone, chokes all of this helps in what i look for with patterning my shotguns.  It's just your own preference .. IMO 

bbcoach

About 15 years ago, when Hevi 13's were the rage, many people experimented with polished vs dirty barrels.  Most got higher pellet counts and better patterns with a clean, polished barrel then a dirty barrel.  At that time, the consensus was about 10% higher.  With the denser shot that is shot now, I don't think it really matters. Dead is Dead!  Since I still shoot the Hevi 7's, my 835 barrel still gets a quick polishing every spring prior to opening day.

3bailey3

I clean mine after every shooting, still amazed at how much trash gets in the barrel with one shot.

bwhana

After burning through a lot of shells on paper in the past 10+ years, I discovered that cleaning the choke tube made the most difference in my guns, not the barrel.  This is especially true in the Indian Creek where slivers of plastic wad gets caught in the grooves. I use brake cleaner and a brush and I am always amazed at what comes out of them after just one shot.   I do use a bore snake through the barrel 1x with denatured alcohol between shots most times, but not always.  This may not be the case for everyone, but works well for me. 

RiverRoost

Quote from: bwhana on March 12, 2024, 08:45:49 PM
After burning through a lot of shells on paper in the past 10+ years, I discovered that cleaning the choke tube made the most difference in my guns, not the barrel.  This is especially true in the Indian Creek where slivers of plastic wad gets caught in the grooves. I use brake cleaner and a brush and I am always amazed at what comes out of them after just one shot.   I do use a bore snake through the barrel 1x with denatured alcohol between shots most times, but not always.  This may not be the case for everyone, but works well for me.

That makes a lot of sense that the choke would be perform better clean vs the barrel. May have to try that

stinkpickle

Wait....we're supposed to clean them?

Ihuntoldschool

I don't see any difference. The bore stays really clean in the Crio barrels with the chrome lined bore.

I don't clean mine and it still looks clean.

Big gun for waterfowl. I doubt if they swab between shots.

g8rvet

I swear my old 870 got worse with a polishing and shot better after a couple of shots. 

Benelli Nova had crappy POA but it patterned best squeaky clean.  hated that dang gun for turkey.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.