North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Thoughts? Opinions? Questions? Post those here

Started by Zobo, March 10, 2024, 09:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruination

Quote from: Jwall on March 14, 2024, 12:53:33 PM
I went and scouted two properties in Mississippi this morning and they are so overgrown with briars they aren't huntable. I didn't hear and birds either so I guess I'm back to waiting on Tennessee opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know of a couple of properties in maryland that have tons of birds on them but they are giant briar patches so they are really difficult to hunt without spending a ton of time learning the huntable areas.
.410 Favors the Bold

Jwall

Quote from: ruination on March 14, 2024, 01:04:42 PM
I went and scouted two properties in Mississippi this morning and they are so overgrown with briars they aren't huntable. I didn't hear and birds either so I guess I'm back to waiting on Tennessee opener.

Know of a couple of properties in maryland that have tons of birds on them but they are giant briar patches so they are really difficult to hunt without spending a ton of time learning the huntable areas.
This was an 80 and 50 acre parcels that had pines cut from it about 5 years ago and now it's overgrown without any hardwoods or cleared openings.

ruination

Quote from: Jwall on March 14, 2024, 02:21:50 PM
Quote from: ruination on March 14, 2024, 01:04:42 PM

This was an 80 and 50 acre parcels that had pines cut from it about 5 years ago and now it's overgrown without any hardwoods or cleared openings.

Yea, these properties have that exact same problem.  They are just larger so they arent all garbage.
.410 Favors the Bold

GobbleNut

Two gobblers on the board already.  You guys are killin' it!  Congrats Tomtom.   :icon_thumright:

squidd

Zobo

Nice going TomTom, I added your gobbler to the score board.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

The big boys are gobbling and the time is almost here, thankfully! I went to my gal Charlie's horse farm today and gave her her seasonal gift, 200 rounds of CCI mini mags. I asked her if she wanted some wine and she shook her head and said "nah, keep the ammo coming." lol! Sounds funny coming from a 4'8" 80 year old little pit bull of a lady! She still rides most days and carries a .38 on her hip. I will post a picture eventually, she's pretty awesome.

JeffC

Sounds like a tough old New Englander. Those long cold winters will do that.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

squidd

Holy Buckets - nice bird CQ!!  Looking forward to hearing more about the hunt!

Jwall

Boys, I've been out 3 times and at this moment the birds are 3 and I'm 0. Guess we will try it again tomorrow after church and then I head to SD next weekend to try my luck out there.

Zobo

Quote from: Jwall on April 27, 2024, 07:26:35 PMBoys, I've been out 3 times and at this moment the birds are 3 and I'm 0. Guess we will try it again tomorrow after church and then I head to SD next weekend to try my luck out there.

Just a matter of time, keep on em, good luck!

squidd

GL Zobo and nicely done on the other birds this past weekend!

Closest I had in GA was one hung up at 100-yds and he didn't want to play.

Only bonus was picking black raspberries with my daughter for jam and cobbler!!

Zobo

:morning: Strike one for Zobo.
It was my first outing and let's just say it was a rough start. Spilled my coffee, forgot my face mask and my phone. Got my finger caught in the gun's pump action while loading which caused my to scream an obscenity afield :z-dizzy:
My calling sucked, woodsmanship was a C- and overall effort in the F range. Too much Grappa last night to work the yelpers in the morning.
Too much  overall merrymaking with the gents at turkey camp. And when I get hammered I start playing the mandolin, I'm not a banjo guy, and all hell breaks loose.
Tomorrow will be better  :drool: I got a fix on a group of hard gobblers. I heard them as I was leaving just after noontime I believe .:begging:

Zobo

Strike two for Zobo.
Called in a lone hen. Then called in a hen with gobbler in tow but they hung at 60 + yards. She must have seen me move I suppose. Lots of gobbling this morning which is nice, it's been pretty rainy however.