turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#1 hunting trumpet

Started by bowbird87, March 09, 2024, 08:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I have some I like a lot and some I may never grab.  The list of trumpet makers for the ones I like are the usual suspects.  One newer maker, Jeremy Simpson, has 2 in my collection that are right in there with the better known makers. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Ranger

Lewis Stowe Delrin and/or Permar Hex or 45
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Ranman

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 15, 2024, 11:58:35 PM
To be honest , I have a whole lot of trumpets and it really doesn't matter which one I pull out. They are all good and unlike other turkey calls , a trumpet is unique in the sense that if you draw on them with your style of play then most work about the same. I can run a Prudhomme , a Kp , a Lapp , a permar and any other that I have in my collection and kill birds. To my ear and the way I play , they all sound pretty close the same. Just my opinion.
I also think they all sound similar to my ear, but I seem to have more action with certain calls. Maybe coincidence, maybe not..

wchadw

My go to is a Buice but there are a few and I swap up mouthpieces

Zobo

I'm now also absolutely loving a beautiful Kenneth Mullins in buckeye burl that I bought from the OG classifieds. Really awesome, sweet running little trumpet.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 15, 2024, 11:58:35 PMTo be honest , I have a whole lot of trumpets and it really doesn't matter which one I pull out. They are all good and unlike other turkey calls , a trumpet is unique in the sense that if you draw on them with your style of play then most work about the same. I can run a Prudhomme , a Kp , a Lapp , a permar and any other that I have in my collection and kill birds. To my ear and the way I play , they all sound pretty close the same. Just my opinion.
I agree with this. I traded a call for a battey trumpet (200+$) and then decided to try the Mosses Creek WingWood (25$ shipped) and when it came in and i ran the wingwood, I was blown away with how similar they sounded to my ear. So I took them outside and done a video sound file with each in the same video and if it wasn't for me physically showing each one before I played them, you'd swear I never changed calls.

nitro

Buice. Hands down.

I own many, many other trumpets from some great call makers, but I hunt with one of Mr.Billy's trumpets.  :OGturkeyhead:
Royal Slam 2008

paboxcall

I've owned and traded / sold many turned trumpets over the years, Watkins, Buice, Hegler, Permar, etc.

After all that I'm down to what works for me and I gravitate to the Bott adjustable.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Zobo

Quote from: paboxcall on April 27, 2024, 05:01:21 PMI've owned and traded / sold many turned trumpets over the years, Watkins, Buice, Hegler, Permar, etc.

After all that I'm down to what works for me and I gravitate to the Bott adjustable.

That's awesome, I too am a strong believer in Mr. Austin Bott. One of the nicest human beings too!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14