News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Large swing in pattern density from shot to shot

Started by vt35mag, March 09, 2024, 06:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

What causes this?

I have never really noticed it much with my 12ga, but definitely notice it with the 410 tss loads.
I can shoot with a squeaky clean barrel and have hit counts in the 200 range, bore snake it a couple times and be down in the 140s with the next shot. Try a different choke and similar results. First one is in the 180s and the next shot is in the 110s.
Shooting big paper and notice it with both shells I bought and shells I have reloaded.

From now on I will be shooting hand loads based on whatever powder charge and choke gives me the most CONSISTENCY from shot to shot, just would like to know what influences the swing. Maybe its simply clean vs fouled barrel/choke

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

backforty

Sounds like it's fouling. Maybe try polishing the barrel if you haven't.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

vt35mag

Yeah I actually honed it with a flex hone

WV Ridge Reaper

Welcome to the 410..gotta keep em clean..not bore snake clean either..I have two and they are both the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

Sounds like your gun likes to be squeaky clean. Listen to your gun. It takes really slow burning powders to safely push heavy loads through a .410 bore. Those slow burning powders leave a lot of residue. I only shoot 12 gauge, but those guns strongly prefer to be squeaky clean, so that is the only way I shoot them. Bore snake then nylon brush and swab with Shooter's Choice between every shot. Consistent as can be.

vt35mag

Thanks all, good info

Ihuntoldschool

Shot patterns always random especially when you looking at 10 inch circle instead of 30

Tighter the choke and smaller the bore more erratic things get

Now 410 pellets more in contact with barrel walls