turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many calls is too many?

Started by Tomtom97, March 08, 2024, 08:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomtom97

Really having a hard time on deciding what to carry with me next weekend in Florida. How many calls do yall typically carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mastevt

Generally, I carry just 1.  My Trough call.  If it's forecasted to be windy, I'll maybe pack a glass over glass pot call.

bbcoach

Driving or Flying?  Driving take what you would normally when you're at home and the ones you have confidence in.  The birds in Florida don't gobble a ton but will love a raspy box, slate or glass.  If your flying, pack your calls in a carry on so you can protect them, and they don't get lost.  Again, take the ones you have confidence in.  Osceola's aren't much different than Eastern's for getting a response from, they just don't gobble as much once they are on the ground.  Good luck and Have Fun!       

Greg Massey

A person only carrying one or two calls in my opinion is putting himself at a disadvantage. You have waited all year for the spring season and a good variety of calls will help in covering all your bases with humidity and other related weather conditions... That one call you didn't take mine just be the one that helps you feel your tag. IMO

3bailey3

4 pots, one box and one push/pull, I think 5 strikers.

Tomtom97

Quote from: bbcoach on March 08, 2024, 10:52:32 PM
Driving or Flying?  Driving take what you would normally when you're at home and the ones you have confidence in.  The birds in Florida don't gobble a ton but will love a raspy box, slate or glass.  If your flying, pack your calls in a carry on so you can protect them, and they don't get lost.  Again, take the ones you have confidence in.  Osceola's aren't much different than Eastern's for getting a response from, they just don't gobble as much once they are on the ground.  Good luck and Have Fun!     
I'll be driving. I had good luck down there last year, just acquired some more calls over the last year and having a hard time deciding on what to take. But like Greg was saying I've been waiting a year for this and can't kill them with them if I leave them home!

bbcoach

Quote from: Tomtom97 on March 09, 2024, 07:11:26 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on March 08, 2024, 10:52:32 PM
I'll be driving. I had good luck down there last year, just acquired some more calls over the last year and having a hard time deciding on what to take. But like Greg was saying I've been waiting a year for this and can't kill them with them if I leave them home!

Absolutely!  I've been to South Florida a couple of times and it is a Great place to hunt.  If your driving, take them all and let the birds sort them out for you.  I'm with Greg, if you leave them home you may say Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda.  Take several pots, a good box and some mouth calls hunting every day.  If you can't get a response from one, switch it up.  I never fish with just one bait / lure, so why put all your eggs in one basket with only one or two calls.  Have Fun!

IhateMud

I usually carry 3 pots, 1 box, and 1 mouth call. I figure my vest has plenty of pockets.I may as well put em to use.

Zobo

Idk squat about Florida, but I usually carry a short box and sometimes a longbox too, a yelper or two and a slate or other pot. Mouth calls, Scratch boxes and push pins are occasional
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

greentrout

I always have a yelper and a Permar improved Jordan, a scratch box, and a ceramic pot call. I usually also have a slate call and a box call of some sort as well.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

GuideGun

I'll preface this by saying I use a Glenda Green Satchel so I have plenty of room for calls. I usually carry 4-5 pots, 6 strikers, 2 long boxes, a hen box, a Marlin Coaxer, one trumpet, and a couple mouth calls. That doesn't make it too full either.
Matt

Twowithone

3 pots 5 strikers Lynch champion caller, couple diaphrams. :you_rock:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

ScottTaulbee

Typically for me, I'll have 1 slate call (around here every pot call is a slate) typically glass or ceramic. 2 strikers, a air suction operated call, this year will be a EZ Wingbone. And my mouth call pouch with 4 to 6 mouth calls. The wingbone/trumpet will be on my neck and my mouth calls are too. I'll also be carrying a push button or box call this season but typically the above mentioned calls round me out pretty well. I will swap calls out daily if not getting results with what I have chosen that day.

Tom007

I tote 2 pushpins, a trumpet, one pot call (Slate on calm day, Glass on windy day), 2 strikers, 2 mouth diaphragms, a wing, crow call. On a real windy day, the pot gets replaced with a Battleship Long box.
"Solo hunter"

Manager8

I'm pushing 50 and that grows every year