OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Info for Cleaning and breaking in new gun

Started by RiverRoost, March 07, 2024, 02:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Just brought home a M2 21" 12ga, going to have it drilled next week for my sumtoy mount. What's the best process to clean and/or break in this gun before it's inaugural season

runngun

This is the way I do it. I break it down, look inside the barrel trying to see how it looks from the inside. Then I spray it with Carburetor cleaner. I use a one piece rod with bronzed brush and scrub. Then I will use a bore mop to wipe out the barrel. If I am happy with it I will use denatured alcohol on patches or a wad of paper towels and push through the barrel. I don't want any oil in the inside of barrel.  If possible I remove trigger assembly from clean as we

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Hill

I break the gun down including the bolt and use denatured or isopropyl alcohol to wipe all the oil off everything. I'll LIGHTLY oil the inside of the bolt and the rails then re-assemble. I usually shoot a box or so of heavy target or field loads (1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz shot at 1300 fps or so) to make sure everything is cycling well then Ill clean out the barrel good and start with the turkey loads.

RiverRoost

Thanks guys. I was thinking about starting out burning through a box of dove loads and then stripping the gun down and running some patches through with solvent and a brass brush next and follow that up with dry patches and next alcohol patches. I'll probably wipe the action and stuff down with alcohol to start and club the rails lightly

Greg Massey

I just wipe it down good inside / outside and run a few patches down the barrel  / oil it back up and go shoot ...