Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations nice gobbler. 2 more weeks till the opener here in NC

zelmo1

JeffC

Quote from: Tomtom97 on April 02, 2024, 09:24:59 AM

This one should be an upgrade!

Save some for the rest of us!! Congrats, 3rd Tom killed and yet NO STORY..... ::)
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

Where's that Captain Zobo when you need him, Captain , you need to get your team into shape, no story, no extra pictures to help tell said story..."Reject" wont update you scores.... :whip2:   

Tomtom97

Quote from: JeffC on April 02, 2024, 11:58:23 AM
Where's that Captain Zobo when you need him, Captain , you need to get your team into shape, no story, no extra pictures to help tell said story..."Reject" wont update you scores.... :whip2:
Story coming tonight! I had to get to bed cause I hunted him right after work last night

Tomtom97

Story time-

1st bird- After missing a bird opening day in Florida,I set back out the next morning to an area where I heard some other birds. I heard 2 different birds off the limb, but flew down and went silent. I set up on a curve in one of the road beds on the property roughly 200 from where they roosted and after about an hour I got some hens fired up and came running in to check me out. They passed me and about 10 minutes after I hit some cuts and yelps with my push pin and around the curve a Tom came sprinting from roughly 80 away.. a few seconds later boom! Laid him out at 38 yards! The bird never gobbled, but it sure was fun to see him running in

2nd bird- Me and my dad were hunting together and roosted a set of birds the evening before off of a huge V shaped field surrounded by pines. That next morning we got out to the field a good 45 minutes before gobbling time and set a hen and Jake decoy out at the point of the field roughly 150 away from the birds. They only gobbled a handful of times maybe 10 combined on the limb and once when they flew down. They were circling the back end of the field through the woods where we couldn't see. They weren't responding to soft calling so I cranked it up with my push pin and they both started gobbling their head off. I hit them hard and shut up and within 2 minutes they both came out onto the other side of the field full strut roughly 200 away. They proceeded to run straight at us after seeing the decoys  and didn't stop until 50 yards to strut all the way into us until we were able to double up at 30 yards! Will be a hunt I will never forget.

3rd bird- I got off of work early this morning and decided to try and get on one of the birds that I tangled with over the weekend around the house. I had to come home check on the wife and 8 week old and headed out. Didn't hear anything off the limb except for a group of hens another ridge over. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep hunting and try to get some sleep before headed back into work or go see if there was anything to try and strike up around those hens.  The birds around the house have been covered up with hens, so I figured there was a decent chance he was around them. I headed over and set up in some hardwoods about 100 yards from where I thought they had roosted near a field. I started soft and gave it a minute let out two hard clucks into some yelps and he cut me off roughly 80 away to my right. Set my call down and he came over the ridge and I was able to take him at 35. After I shot I realized I got between him and the hens, they took off from my left after the shot. I'll take luck over skill when I can get it!

Let's keep this thing going and take the trophy!

JeffC

Awesome job on the 3 Toms, congrats to you and your wife on the 8 week old, that is tough working and having a newborn in house, enjoy while you can, they grow up way too fast.  :thanks:

Zobo

Sounds like a great start to your season! Nice going, you're killin em!!!  :blob10: I upgraded your score as well as  the team's score!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

Quote from: JeffC on April 02, 2024, 11:58:23 AM

We Longbeards are in great shape, thank you very much. We take our time with these matters. We enjoy the hunt and our successes and savor, if you will, the fruits of our labor. We don't run straight to the computer to tell stories, that's a bit uncouth for us.
   Our first inclination isn't to boast and show off. I know that's that going to be difficult to understand and a little disappointing for some. Also, some Longbeards have something odd going on in their lives  :z-dizzy:, commonly referred to as jobs. We are a younger group, nobody is over 80 I believe! Now, I don't mean to blow your mind here. I know this is a lot to take in.
   And in the words of the great American Patriot John Paul Jones, "We Longbeards have not yet begun to fight!"

PS: The likeness to me of the hobo in the picture you chose Jeff, is actually uncanny! I play the accordion however, not the banjo but it's a very fair representation  :agreed:

Zobo

18 days and counting. This is arduous! A watched pot never boils  :begging:

Zobo

In the meantime I guess I'll keep myself busy somehow

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Happy

Hang in there, sir. You seem to be wise enough to realize that the anticipation is half the fun. And pass the bottle please.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

crow

Quote from: Zobo on April 11, 2024, 10:34:51 PM
In the meantime I guess I'll keep myself busy somehow

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

There is always the option of applying to the Moonshiners Master Distillers competition to pass the time

Paulmyr

Might be time to get a 5 gal bucket bubbling. It would be ready for some heat come the end of turkey season. I got a stash of blackberries in the freezer but not enough. Hmmm........What to mix with blackberries?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

crow

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 12, 2024, 11:25:40 PM
Might be time to get a 5 gal bucket bubbling. It would be ready for some heat come the end of turkey season. I got a stash of blackberries in the freezer but not enough. Hmmm........What to mix with blackberries?

Why cherry's of course, nothing like cherry berry bounce