turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Davis Style Scratchbox

Started by trb136, March 06, 2024, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trb136

Here is something I have wanted to do for a while. First of all Thank You to Danny Ellis for photos of an original Henry Davis Scratchbox, what a piece of history, Ty to Bill Lyman for the information from Davis's book..

This is a replica of that call based on the exact measurements Davis chronicled in his book The American Wild Turkey , I sure hope I did it justice, It was a lot of fun reading and building this call, it almost was a step back in time.Below are pictures of an original Davis Scratchbox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brennan

Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packmule

Really nice Tim. That's interesting how he's running the call in the photo.  How do you like the sound?

trb136

Quote from: packmule on March 06, 2024, 11:06:51 AM
Really nice Tim. That's interesting how he's running the call in the photo.  How do you like the sound?
All turkey to my ear. He ran the striker across the tone board. I posted it with video on my FB page

callmakerman

First I'll say I was shocked how fast Tim went to work on this call as I had sent him the info earlier in the day. Second is how good this call sounds in the sound file he sent me, loaded with turkey and not only a worthy reproduction but worthy to be in the woods as well.

packmule

greentrout

Very cool. Those of you who haven't heard this call need to track down Tim's Facebook and give it a listen. It's all turkey and a wonderful sound. Love that Bill was involved.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

trb136

Quote from: callmakerman on March 06, 2024, 11:44:40 AM
First I'll say I was shocked how fast Tim went to work on this call as I had sent him the info earlier in the day. Second is how good this call sounds in the sound file he sent me, loaded with turkey and not only a worthy reproduction but worthy to be in the woods as well.
Ty Bill I appreciate it. Ty for taking the time to send the information

callmakerman

Quote from: trb136 on March 06, 2024, 06:22:21 PM
Quote from: callmakerman on March 06, 2024, 11:44:40 AM
Ty Bill I appreciate it. Ty for taking the time to send the information
You need to get a copy of this book and read it. When Davis talks about hunting and using this call you'll be happy to have made this reproduction.

mspaci

very nice, it looks bigger than many scratchers we are accustomed too

turkey stew

Great historic reproduction of that Davis scratcher. I really like it along with the history lesson.

runngun

Ugh oh!!! We in trouble y'all!!! They's a collaborating now!!! Money Money, Money!!! And so are the turkeys. They keep that up and the turkeys are sure enough gonna need restocking!!!
Good job, Mr Bill and Mr Tim!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

callmakerman

Quote from: runngun on March 06, 2024, 11:29:03 PM
Ugh oh!!! We in trouble y'all!!! They's a collaborating now!!! Money Money, Money!!! And so are the turkeys. They keep that up and the turkeys are sure enough gonna need restocking!!!
Good job, Mr Bill and Mr Tim!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Tim is the craftsman behind this call, all I did was send him the directions from the book.

crow

Very nice, turned out great and a cool piece of history.
Good book, right at the top of my favorite list