turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag TSS/Choke Combo

Started by chingson, March 04, 2024, 03:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chingson

Last year I purchased a late 90's mossberg 835 ulti mag. I bought the carlson's TSS choke and the patterns were decent but not what i was expecting. The only choice in constriction that Carlson's offers is a .650. Is this too tight? Has anyone had better experience with an 835 ulti mag with an indian creek or jebs choke? What constriction?

BrowningGuy88

I had a 935 a while back and I got the best results from chokes more open. I liked a 675 and a 690 with 2 ounce TSS loads.

Tom007

I have an early 90's Ulti-Mag Turkey. 24 inch barrel, I have the Indian Creek Choke tube in it. It is the best choke I've tested with it. Shoots Longbeard 6's and TSS 9's real well. Great patterning gun for sure. I read through a lot of threads on the Ulti-Mag, the Indian Creek seems to be the choke of choice....good luck....
"Solo hunter"

chingson

Do you remember which constriction your IC is?

Tom007

Yes sir, it is a .675. Is pretty tight a very close range, has a real solid 35 yard pattern which is my max distance....
"Solo hunter"

runngun

Primos makes a good one, I checked the one that I have and it measures 676  Same diameter as my old Stardot. 

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

jhoward11

I have a ported heavy choke .676. It does throw a tight pattern in close, but most chokes would if you want a good longer range pattern. 650 is really tight and didn't even work well with my WLB #5. I think Indian Creek makes a good choke also for the 835, but I would stick with more open no matter the choke brand.

bbcoach

Welcome to OG!  The 835 like chokes in the .670 to .676 range for most loads.  I don't shoot TSS, for several reasons, but my 835 will put 300 plus in a 10" circle at 40 with 3 1/2 Hevi 7's with a Pure Gold .670 choke.  The 835 has an overbored barrel (10 gauge) so if you over choke them the pattern will scatter causing holes in the pattern or low pellet counts.  Many years ago, shooters on this site did extensive research and found the optimum choke is .670 to .676.  Most will tell you, that you can use a little more open choke with TSS.  You may want to try the choke that came with it (.695) with TSS but that maybe too open.  Pure Gold, Indian Creek, SSX and Stardot are a few chokes that have done really well in the 835 and 935's.   

TrackeySauresRex

The Old Jelly Head .690 and the 3.5 Mag Blends out of my Ol' Mossy 835 were deadly! That combo worked for me for a while before going to the 20. Search the form, there are great patters from that combo.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."