OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you shoot if you didn't call him in?

Started by mcw3734, March 03, 2024, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

It's the age old, it depends.

I have shot them and I have let them walk. I'm sure both scenarios will play out again in the coming years....

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 03, 2024, 01:30:13 PM
Nope.

I, personally, fail to see the point in it.

But, additionally, in my home state it's not LEGAL to shoot a spring bird you did not call to your location.

Every state should follow suit
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Dtrkyman

Not legal to shoot a bird you didn't call in?  I find that difficult to believe and waaay more difficult to enforce, basically impossible.

Brillo

Stumbling onto a gobbler is unimaginable to me.  I have stepped to the edge of the woods and had birds running waaay across a clear cut.  How do you stumble on to a turkey?  On the other hand I have snuck along a two track and encountered a flock crossing in front of me.  Nice mature boss in that mix too.  If I had a shot I would have gladly and PROUDLY invited him home.  No call necessary.     :OGani:

joey46

Quote from: Zobo on March 03, 2024, 01:40:14 PM
Nope.

But, additionally, in my home state it's not LEGAL to shoot a spring bird you did not call to your location.
Horse pucky. Totally not enforceable and makes things a joke.  What State?

Bedge7767

Jim

joey46

Ryanmc

No doubt I'm shooting. I have had that happen a couple of times. One time I wasn't sure of the shot distance so I let him walk to move in front and call him in. After the fact he was in range. Another time I worked a bird all morning but he was across a big creek. I eased up to the creek to see about crossing it and he was down in the creek drinking water when I popped over the crest. I did let him get up the side where he wouldn't get wet when I shot. He didn't have a clue anyone was around.

Howie g

Quote from: joey46 on March 03, 2024, 01:53:45 PM
Quote from: Zobo on March 03, 2024, 01:40:14 PM
Nope.

Horse pucky. Totally not enforceable and makes things a joke.  What State?

.   Soooo , elitist means having a different opinion than you ,?
Stereo type much ?

joey46

Yes - if you don't see the elitist in many of these threads you are being a blind elitist.  Surprised many of the recent threads regarding "decoys" have survived unscathed.  Let's do some more on OnX or THP.  They're always good for a laugh. 

Happy

If I am elitist so be it. By the way I am against blinds, decoys, reaping, food plots, trail cameras, battery powered bikes,and baiting. Might as well upgrade me to platinum status. . I really don't give a flip how everyone else is doing it. I hold my standards for me and me alone. Taking the easy route leads to mediocrity. That's not my aspiration in life.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Brillo

This reminds me of fishing with my uncle.  He was an avid fly fisherman who tied his own and made some of his own rods.  He would not dream of tying a spinner onto the end of some 4 pound mono and casting that anywhere.  I don't think he owned a spinning rod. If you ever wanted to go fishing with a great fisherman, he was one.  I loved that guy and admired his skill and dedication.  I just wanted to catch some fish.  Wish he was still around.   

Howie g

Finally,,, I'm considered "elite " at something... thank u

squidd

joey46

Quote from: Happy on March 03, 2024, 02:30:59 PM
If I am elitist so be it. By the way I am against blinds, decoys, reaping, food plots, trail cameras, battery powered bikes,and baiting. Might as well upgrade me to platinum status. . I really don't give a flip how everyone else is doing it. I hold my standards for me and me alone. Taking the easy route leads to mediocrity. That's not my aspiration in life.

We hope you aren't against wearing pants.  As for this mystery state if I walk in in the dark to a spot I guessed they were roosting and one flew down would I have to give him a courtesy yelp to be legal.?I'm assuming this is the same state where they did the orange hat shuffle?  I may visit there mid May. Don't want to commit a paux pas if one comes in silent .