Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would you shoot if you didn't call him in?

Started by mcw3734, March 03, 2024, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Would you shoot a gobbler if you didn't call him in?

Maybe you're walking silently to your mid-day spot and bump one, but still have time for a shot. Or you just sat down on a ridgeline and look up to see one walking towards you, knowing you don't have to do anything and it'll soon be in range. Would you do it?

Happy

Back in my younger days, I would have. Nowadays, I would not. It may not make sense to some, but I feel like I have to do something to "earn it," so to speak. And showing up doesn't count.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

joey46

Yes - in a minute.  Some of these posts are a hoot. To each his own.

TonyTurk

Due to work schedule and family obligations, I typically only get 7 or 8 days to hunt each Spring.

For me the answer is "yes".  I might not get another opportunity.

Now, if I could hunt for 60 days, travel to 6 or 8 different states and have the chance to harvest 8 or 10 birds each Spring, my answer might be different.  Or, it might not be different.

1iagobblergetter

I feel like i need to earn it(call it in)& if i dont then i might as well just go to the store and buy one already dressed out...
Its never been all about killing something everytime i go out for me...
Ive had Big Jakes that ive called in last day and last minutes ticking down and just let them wander off..
I love the challenge...Its whats kept me coming back to it every spring&fall....Each to their own tho..I hunt how i want to hunt and worry about myself....

MossyOak92

Takes more skill to sneak one than to call one. A call is just a tool. If I can use woodsmanship to put him at 30 yards and I don't need a call I won't waste time. 

Dtrkyman

Bumping  bird maybe maybe not?   If a bird just shows up or I cut him off in his travels he's getting shot every time.

The easiest bird to kill is the hot one coming to the call, so maybe we should not shoot those...lol

Howie g

Younger years when I just wanted to kill a turkey ... yes ,,
Now , nope . The days of just killin to be killin are thankfully long behind me .

3bailey3

Heard one gobble mid morning in a open hardwood flat, I wasn't sure where he was so I just walk 15 yards of the road and maybe 5 steps off wheeler trail. I had just got my gloves and mask on and my gun was in my lap. I was just going to wait until he gobbled again and move on him, I thought get your gun up on my knee, just when I did I saw something black out of the corner of my eye, big gobbler in full strut less than 8 steps right beside me, he had walked right past my truck and up the trail I had walked in on. I was thinking fast on what to do, thinking no way I can get my gun to my shoulder with him that close, well he walks on down the trail and at 5 yards I get gun up at 10 I put it on his head, I did feel bad walking up to him but I did alot right to take him, really good bird, thick beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs.

MS TurkeyHunter

Im with most here on the opinion of having to earn that turkey. For me its calling one in and fooling him that there is another turkey around.   Its a big reason why I enjoy Turkey hunting much as i do. I will eat tag soup in a heartbeat if it came to ambushing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

No...

My reasoning is not out of personal ethics, but out of what constitutes enjoyment for me...  I shoot a bird I did not call in, I feel I would be robbing myself out of the fun of doing so...

Shooting a turkey on the ground is certainly no great feat of marksmanship.  Past couple seasons, I have turned a corner to see an easy bird...  Instinctively raise my gun, and (have so far) let them all walk.  Now, If I can (stealthly) back out, and call that bird in, I will gladly take him.

Granted, If I am sitting some place calling periodically, and a bird comes in quiet after some time, I make the "assumption" that he is where he is, due to my calling, and I will take that bird.

There are many personal ethics that come to play in hunting...  But there are also "non-ethical" practices and preferences based on where the enjoyment level comes from for each of us...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Fortunately, I haven't found myself in a situation where I would be tested with a bird I just stumbled into while hunting that I wasn't in a conversation with.  Honestly, if I was having a tough season, had hunted long and hard, and for whatever reason had not been able to "get it done", I am sure I would be tempted.  I also suspect that temptation would be magnified if I was nearing the end of a tough, bird-less, out-of-state hunt.  Could I honestly say I wouldn't pull the trigger in that situation?  I'm just not certain...and I am hoping I don't have to find out.

I also have no problem with folks that shoot non-called gobblers when the opportunity arises. The exception to that is people who shoot turkeys by road-hunting, shooting over feeders or baited sites, or roost-shooting birds off of the limb.  Although, I have had a number of occasions where I could have done all of those, that is definitely not something that I personally find acceptable.

POk3s

Yes. In my opinion, there's more ways to earn one than ONLY calling one in. Hunting almost exclusively public land, a lot of times miles and super early mornings usually come into play. One example was last year hunting public land rios and not hearing a gobble all day. I hit multiple high points in the morning and heard zero. I then called in a couple aggressive hens and then was able to spot two longbeards. I tried 3 different times to circle around and call one of them in. They seemingly didn't care about my calling or were "shy" of it. Again, never gobbled once. I finally chose to sneak into range and killed one. It was a lot of fun and I felt I earned it due to how much "try" was involved in the hunt.

joey46

AGAIN - to each his own.  Follow the limits, follow the rules.  Go get 'um. 
What's next - Would you shoot a bird after watching a YouTube video from THP?  As usual this forum can get very elitist at times.  It may be it's charm.  Lol

Yoder409

Nope.

I, personally, fail to see the point in it.

But, additionally, in my home state it's not LEGAL to shoot a spring bird you did not call to your location.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.