OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what word do you say for clucking or cutting on mouth call?

Started by azdonw, March 02, 2024, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azdonw

On Youtube, I've seen people claim they say "chick", "hut", "kick" and various other "words" as they cluck or cut. What do you do or say?

ScottTaulbee

I don't really say anything but air flow wise it would be something similar to "tuck"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

I don't say anything either. If you don't know who you're watching on you tube be careful anyone can post videos

azdonw

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 02, 2024, 02:09:59 PM
I don't really say anything but air flow wise it would be something similar to "tuck"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, that is helpful.

GobbleNut

All of the referenced words have one similarity...they are single syllable and short. The "word" used for clucking on a mouth call is less important than the ability of the caller to control the sharp/quick burst of air needed to accurately reproduce the sound.  In addition, it is much easier to make accurate clucks with some mouth call designs than others for the average mouth call user. 

It is somewhat important to match your calling mechanics and experience using mouth calls with a specific call design.  For each of us, there are generally some call designs that are easier to produce realistic clucks on than others.   :icon_thumright:

azdonw

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 02, 2024, 05:20:22 PM
All of the referenced words have one similarity...they are single syllable and short. The "word" used for clucking on a mouth call is less important than the ability of the caller to control the sharp/quick burst of air needed to accurately reproduce the sound.  In addition, it is much easier to make accurate clucks with some mouth call designs than others for the average mouth call user. 

It is somewhat important to match your calling mechanics and experience using mouth calls with a specific call design.  For each of us, there are generally some call designs that are easier to produce realistic clucks on than others.   :icon_thumright:
Yeah, the "hut" example was from an old Primos video...and I quickly gave up on that one because I couldn't do it "sharp/quick"...especially quick successions.

I'm using a 2-reed ghost cut call that seems very versatile. Works well for me because my air flow is pretty much down the middle.

Greg Massey

I agree, i don't really say a word / words ... BUT in my mine I'm saying here turkey turkey ...

Paulmyr

I wouldn't say I use words anymore but when I 1st started I used words like pick, pack ,puck. Each word forms your mouth differently and changes the airflow just enough to vary the cluck. After you've done it for a while it comes naturally and you don't think about words any more.

I used the words kit, cat, cut, when learning to cackle as it helped get the decending tone.......kit,kit,kit,kat,kat,cut,cut,cut.

Forming the word kit gives a short quick generally higher pitched note, the cat slightly lower and slower, and finally the cut rounds it out a little deeper and slower yet.

I used the word cut when I wanted scratchy cutts and ,pick pack puck for popping cutts. Like I said earlier after a while it just comes natural and flows out without thinking about it.

Think how may times you've heard a turkey clucking. When more than one cluck, many times you'll here the bird change the tone in it's clucking with every note.

This easily replicated by changing from pick to pack, pack to puck,or vice versa. Again,after a while you don't think about it and the notes come out without having to focus on words.

When I whit, forming the word fit helps me out. It gets my mouth in the right position and pops the air just right for me to get the high pitched whit. I still say the fit when doing this unlike the clucking, cutting, and cackling where it just comes out now.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

crow

I use totally different words when the gobbler is running away putting than when first calling to him

EZ

boatpaddle

Try using the words bit & butt to cluck...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

azdonw

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 02, 2024, 07:56:21 PM
Try using the words bit & butt to cluck...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
That is interesting. "Bit" or "butt" would get your lips involved. I've heard some say that they don't think the cluck sound should have lips involved (and I've seen on Youtube) where others do use their lips.

Tom007

My Knight &Hale cassette from 1985 taught me to say the word "Chalk" to get sound out of the mouth diaphragm. This tape taught me how to call.....
"Solo hunter"

azdonw

Quote from: Tom007 on March 03, 2024, 03:47:53 PM
My Knight &Hale cassette from 1985 taught me to say the word "Chalk" to get sound out of the mouth diaphragm. This tape taught me how to call.....
Sounds like a decent yelp word but not for a cluck or cut.

Tom007

Quote from: azdonw on March 03, 2024, 04:00:56 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on March 03, 2024, 03:47:53 PM
Sounds like a decent yelp word but not for a cluck or cut.

You are correct, it was to imitate and get a yelp sound. It was a long time ago......
"Solo hunter"