turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Life of a turkey choke?

Started by slave601, March 02, 2024, 10:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwhana

FWIW, I called Indian Creek many years back before the first TSS load I ever used in one and they said that there is no issue with doing so with their chokes.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: runngun on March 13, 2024, 09:59:47 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 13, 2024, 06:21:58 PM
Tru-chokes are thin walled and I would guess prone to easy damage.
Bingo!!!
I will try and post a picture of one of the tubes later.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I personally have never shot any tru-choke tubes. A lot of Trulock, but that is not the same bunch.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Marc

I use a bore gauge...

Shooting steel through IC, LM, and modified chokes, and checking them with a bore gauge, there is virtually no difference in constriction in those chokes since 2007 after shooting thousands of rounds through them (at least through my LM).

Lead or Bismuth will not damage a modern barrel...  Both materials are soft and malleable.

Steel and tungsten do have the potential to damage a barrel.  The thickness of the wads will generally protect from direct abrasive damage, but as the shot does not compress, it can bulge a barrel...  (i.e. trying to fit an object through a hole that is too small)

Large shot sizes (as often used for waterfowl) are more likely to cause the barrel to bulge, as are larger payloads (to my understanding), and obviously damage becomes far more likely with tighter choke constriction.  I would think it unlikely that shooting #9's to #6 shot sizes would damage most barrels, but I have heard of such happening with some of the super tight turkey chokes being used...

Often when barrel bulge happens you cannot get the choke out of the gun, and I have heard of the compression damaging threads on chokes....

And also remember, that factory or aftermarket chokes are often not marked correctly...  My last two gun purchases both had chokes marked incorrectly, and generally if I order a set of chokes from aftermarket chokes, at least one will be off...   When ordering chokes, I make it very clear THAT I HAVE A BORE GAUGE AND WILL BE MEASURING THE CHOKES to make sure they are correct...  This honestly does seem to reduce mistakes.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ihuntoldschool

Alot depends on the quality of the choke and quality of the barrel steel.  I've seen the compression issue first hand where it will seize your choke and ruin the threads in barrel.

Also seen chokes bulge from lead even. Quality control is a big issue on some factory chokes in particular.  If they're out of round you're prone to have issues.

The Turkish guns I'll say this. They're not using the highest quality steel. Barrels or chokes.  You get what you pay for..